What does Epsom salt do ???

orpington123

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
I have seen a lot of people talking about Epsom salt for medical uses in poultry. What medical conditions does it cure ?
is it for use against mite and lice?
or for injury purposes ?
Thanks

I doubt it would kill lice, I think they are difficult to drown. :) . It's used most often for soaking, egg bound hens to help them relax, foot and leg injuries to help with swelling and pain. It's used for soaking feet prior to and during bumblefoot treatments both to soften the lesions and for swelling/pain. It's sometimes used as a flush for toxin removal or to try to move an impaction (laxative).
If you want to get rid of mites or lice you need a product with permethrin, or the more expensive Elector PSP.

Epsom salt is soothing, so it can have lots of uses. for bumblefoot it soothes the foot and cuts down the inflammation, but i don't think that it is useful against lice and mites. We humans can use it too, it feels great to soak in a warm bath with Epsom salt after a long and tiresome basketball or dance practice (trust me, i speak from experience 😉). however, it doesn't actually cure any diseases or injury's it makes them feel better.

Back
Top Bottom