What does Fowl Pox look like?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cat Water, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I have two buff orpington pullets that I suspect might have it. I noticed black spots on their faces and combs three days ago. They are about 10 weeks old. I will try to post a picture tomorrow after school. My camera is not working. They are the only ones that I noticed it on, but the others already have black or splotchy face. They are also on the bottom of the pecking order and I have seen the others pecking thier faces. Could it be fowl pox or just wounds from the others? Is it life threatening? What can I do for them?

ETA: They are eating and drinking normally. Everything about them is normal except for the black.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

This is on a turkey but it is a pretty good picture of what fowl pox looks like.

[​IMG]

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Fowl Pox is curable, and I don't think it's really life-threatening. Someone actually mentioned that you just "wait it out".

Here's a thread with pics of Fowl Pox: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=399246

Black
    spots can appear just from pecking, too. My sweet Opal had some, but they were small and went away within a week.

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    ew. Never mind then. Mine only have tiny little specks. How did that start? Does it always look like that? I will post a picture tomorrow.

5. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

This is a buff orpington with pox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by