What does it mean exactly when a rooster flaps his wings at you?

There is a name for an aggressive bird. Its "dinner." Zero tolerance policy for any aggression shown towards people.
Yeah... I know. Like I said, I'm considering turning him into dinner, but he's not shown any aggression outside of that one incident. Like, I mean, literally nothing. He stays out of my space (and out of my little sisters space or anybody else's for that matter) but he's not afraid, as in treating people like danger. I know how serious this can be, and a lot of people feel strongly about it when it involves children, but she was not seriously hurt. A light peck that drew some blood. And it really is a hassle, you know? I have some cockerels (7 and 3 week olds respectively) that I could raise up in his place but who knows what they would be like?

Yeah... I know. Like I said, I'm considering turning him into dinner, but he's not shown any aggression outside of that one incident. Like, I mean, literally nothing. He stays out of my space (and out of my little sisters space or anybody else's for that matter) but he's not afraid, as in treating people like danger. I know how serious this can be, and a lot of people feel strongly about it when it involves children, but she was not seriously hurt. A light peck that drew some blood. And it really is a hassle, you know? I have some cockerels (7 and 3 week olds respectively) that I could raise up in his place but who knows what they would be like?
This time. Next time? Im not judging in any way, but i have an 8yr old and a 2yr old. If any of my roosters ever attacked them, he would not live to see the dawn. Roosters can be vicious and cause serious damage. What was only a "little peck that drew some blood" could have easily been a full blown attack that was much worse.
You never know what the next attack will bring and its not worth the risk.
Sorry, didn't mean to preach.

This time. Next time? Im not judging in any way, but i have an 8yr old and a 2yr old. If any of my roosters ever attacked them, he would not live to see the dawn. Roosters can be vicious and cause serious damage. What was only a "little peck that drew some blood" could have easily been a full blown attack that was much worse.
You never know what the next attack will bring and its not worth the risk.
Sorry, didn't mean to preach.
I know what you mean. I've read the stories. No toddlers, which I think means less chance of aggression, but I understand what you're trying to say. She has supervision when she's with the chickens now, and I've told her to stay away from them.

I also want to add that full blown attacks usually come after there has been some time has passed where the rooster has shown subtle signs of aggression that the owner was not aware of. I am VERY, very closely monitoring his actions and behavior, and nothing so far has tipped me off (except for the wing flapping, which was why I asked about it, just in case).

At other times I think they're just waving to me.

I thought the same thing with a cockerel I had awhile back. He was so handsome and so chill, easy to handle, never got excited about anything and never showed any aggression towards me at all. Every time he saw me he would flap his wings. Not in the way a rooster does where they stand up tall and make a big show of it, just a little flap, flap, and tuck back in. I thought it was just his way of greeting me, waving hello.

Then one day he suddenly flew up at my face. Even then I didn't think too much of it, because he was such a good boy, until he continued doing it and I saw that he meant business! He was an odd one, never showed any other signs of aggression, never tidbitted, danced, flogged, pecked, flared his hackles or stepped at me, nothing, just one day decided that he needed to kill my face.

cockerel - blue-ranger.JPG

I thought the same thing with a cockerel I had awhile back. He was so handsome and so chill, easy to handle, never got excited about anything and never showed any aggression towards me at all. Every time he saw me he would flap his wings. Not in the way a rooster does where they stand up tall and make a big show of it, just a little flap, flap, and tuck back in. I thought it was just his way of greeting me, waving hello.

Then one day he suddenly flew up at my face. Even then I didn't think too much of it, because he was such a good boy, until he continued doing it and I saw that he meant business! He was an odd one, never showed any other signs of aggression, never tidbitted, danced, flogged, pecked, flared his hackles or stepped at me, nothing, just one day decided that he needed to kill my face.

View attachment 2044740
Handsome boy!

Back
Top Bottom