what does it mean in rooster language?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fzouk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    My rooster will flap his wings -with purpose- and it seems like it's some sort of communication and is not just a stretch or random flapping. He'll flap 5 or 6 times really hard and so far I interpret it as "Come on ladies, lets go somewhere else". Do you all know what it means? Is it an "All is well" kind of thing maybe?

Just curious, thanks!
    Frances

2. Garin

Garin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    loudoun co., va
    mine does that whenever he is getting uppity. He has jumped on my legs twice. I started chasing him to show him who is boss.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    stretching, cocky, could also be like a gorilla and their chest beating thing... Either works really, all kinda depends, you'll notice a lot of the times they will flap 5-6 times then crow- He da man.

4. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they beat their wings together sometimes before the crow, but I've also noticed that a lower ranking rooster will flap his wings and stretch when confronted with a higher ranking rooster. It seems like he's nervously trying to appear casual [​IMG] . It's really funny; he looks really edgy and nervous but is trying to appear relaxed with a casual stretch in front of a dominant roo. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's exactly what it is, nervousness around the alpha (even if the alpha is human).
    My roo did that around me a couple times. I flapped my arms back. He got this Oh! ______! look on his face and hasn't done it again.

6. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    Oh! That's interesting! He always does it when I'm out there with him, so I guess it's good that he considers me the alpha. He's my only one- I got rid of another one (gave him away) who flogged my daughter and tried it on me. She's only just 2 so she's little and I didn't want to risk it again. I kept this one because he was MUCH nicer and takes his job seriously of looking after his girls- does a great job. So it's a good thing and I'm happy to understand a little bit more of rooster-speak! [​IMG]

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I interpret that wing-flapping as hey everyone, I'm the big guy around here -- don't mess with me! Of course another rooster can see that as a challenge might flap back and come over to check things out, if he's alpha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by