What does it mean when the rooster "dances"?

Tenneesse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
Woodbury, Middle Tn
Both of my roosters will dance somewhat of a jig when near a hen or when he is showing an interest. Easy to understand.

What I don't understand is why does he do it when he approaches me. He will come up to my feet lower his head sort of spread his wings and dance the same jig. He will do it to my wife to. He seems to do it when he is nervous or or anxious is it a sign of anything in particular possibly aggression. Neither have ever tried to flog or spur but will peck my hand if I let him, not hard, just sort of a don't touch me please.

When I do pick him up he never seems hateful and doesn't struggle. Im just not sure what the two are try to say with the dance or jig they do. They are Columbian Cochins.

Last edited:
Both of my roosters will dance somewhat of a jig when near a hen or when he is showing an interest. Easy to understand.

What I don't understand is why does he do it when he approaches me. He will come up to my feet lower his head sort of spread his wings and dance the same jig. He will do it to my wife to. He seems to do it when he is nervous or or anxious is it a sign of anything in particular possibly aggression. Neither have ever tried to flog or spur but will peck my hand if I let him, not hard, just sort of a don't touch me please.

When I do pick him up he never seems hateful and doesn't struggle. Im just not sure what the two are try to say with the dance or jig they do. They are Columbian Cochins.

Old timers call that " cutting a wing". It's a dominance display. Not a nice thing. Could be the start of aggression. You should put the fear of god (you) in them right away, same with your wife. Good luck........Pop

Don't be so sure it's always a sign of aggression.

Usually roos who are doing the sideways dance as a sign of aggression, will often come erect, open their wings and fly at you, known as "flogging".

I have a Buff Brahma roo Penrod, who does the side-ways dance whenever I bring him a treat. He then picks the first bite or two and offers it to me while honking his encouragement before eating any himself, behavior of a roo with a favorite hen.

The behaviors are very similar. If you spend time with your roo, you will soon learn what his true intentions are. To automatically assume this dance is aggressive is doing the roo a serious injustice, especially if you haul off and drop-kick him when he's just trying to let you know he's fond of you.

I have a silkie & GLW roo who dance for me. I just reach down and pat their backs. The roo who tried to flogg me, now lives at a new home. And if the other roo "Bantie" who I just adopted, does not stop attacking my silkie roo, he is going to be drop kicked into the neighbor's yard with the two Shepard's. He also chases my GLW who is twice his size. I do not have the time to build him a bachelor coop right now.

In the rooster's mind, he MUST be in charge. Until "informed" otherwise, he will want you to be part of his flock, so he can control you. That is just chicken behavior. The dance can be a challenge or a courtship display.

My dominant roo knows *I* am the head of the whole flock, even over him. However, he occasionally tries to "tid-bit" me, which is that growly-cooing call, with the short "Here's a goodie for you" cluck, just like Momma hens do for their chicks. Plus, he'll bring you a present, a twig, a leaf, a pebble, a bug and drop it at your feet. He may pick it up and drop it more than once, reinforcing the "this is for you" message. This is what a good roo does with his hens, but it shouldn't be something YOU accept.

I always thank my rooster for the presents but never, ever collect them. I just walk on by as if it's nothing (even though I think it's adorable).

I love to watch the Rooster Dance of Love, circling and dropping a wing as he woos a hen.

I just came on the site to figure out why my rooster does this to me when I walk in the yard he picks at my feet And then does that sideways dance I felt like it was aggression so I picked him up and held him. I put my hand over his head and stroking gently with my finger I could feel him relaxing in my arm. Maybe it's affection maybe it's aggression he does it every time so I pick him up every time.

I just came on the site to figure out why my rooster does this to me when I walk in the yard he picks at my feet And then does that sideways dance I felt like it was aggression so I picked him up and held him. I put my hand over his head and stroking gently with my finger I could feel him relaxing in my arm. Maybe it's affection maybe it's aggression he does it every time so I pick him up every time.

From what I've read you did exactly the right thing. Supposedly picking them up and holding them says, "I am top roo here -- so powerful I can carry you around and you don't even know what to do".

Back
Top Bottom