What does it mean when the rooster "dances"?

I've recently had my roo go after my daughter who he doesn't know when she came in from out of town so I'm watching him closely.
He's shown "signs" of... Not really aggression but more of his 6-8 month adolescent behavior is showing he's attempting to dominate the yard.
Here's the reason I joined discussion today...
Just a few minutes ago, I was on the ground, belly down to get to the level of a few of the girls. I was talking nicely, peacefully and the roo wasn't far away. He was fine and then got close to me and my face to do this "dance". He dropped one wing (always his left one), "held it down" perse with his claw and did his little jumpy/side winding kind of dance close to me.
Now...
because I've been concerned about his hostility towards my 27 year old daughter who certainly showed fear made me want to do a little bit of soothing attitude adjustment with him.
I've been picking him up and petting him as he slowly calms to laying/sitting on my arm with a little resistance after a few minutes though, when opportunity arrives, he's OUTTA HERE?!

This morning I went a step further...
While holding him I found his "eyes closing" spot.
Rubbing the side of his face to his front of neck to the back neck rub and he actually closed his eyes with extreme comfort and didn't jump out of my arms as quickly.

Saying all of this because of the dance situation....
Do we suppose he was telling me "we're buddies now" with the dance or could he still be showing the want to attack? (Which he has never done to me but showed he could if I didn't teach him "I'm boss".....
Help

Bunyberries,
I agree 100% what egghead mentioned.
I was having a bit of a "problem" with my young too. I had heard to pick him up, walk around your property, showing him off to the others as you ignore any behaviors of the flock other than the roo. Stroke him while talking to him in a soft, firm but soothing voice. Doing this will inform him that you are absolutely in charge and he is just a pet of yours. Mine went from aggressive behavior to obeying my commands if he begins aggression to any of my guests. (not always successful). At this point he will jump on my lap and sit. I will pet him, giving him neck and full body massages. Under the wings, lifting them up like in flight now kind of attention... kind of like he's becoming spoiled brat!

OK, so what if he is showing aggression? So what? it's not as if he's 200 lbs and could kill me. I don't worry about it- if he is aggressive, as long as he can't harm me, I won't give it a thought. There are some very, very expensive bulls- as in bovines, not chickies- that are aggressive. If every farmer culled each one that showed some beefiness, we'd have a lot of weakly, ill-bred cattle in this country. It isn't important to me who's "boss", or what the chicken thinks. I am bigger, I could kill it in an instant if I needed or wanted to, that is all that matters.

My boys are coming of age in a month or two and I do hope I've raised them right. No signs of aggression so far and I have them all in bachelor accomodations out of sight of any hens.

I enforced a 1 meter 'zone' over the last month and use 'flipping' them as a disciplinary action - have done since hatch. They stand up to my hand or act jumpy, I grab them by the legs and hold them out till they calm down and yield. They then get scooped up for cuddles and I do not let them go until they've settled in.

They now know I can come up to them, but the should give me my space and this has been working out so far.

Is there a sudden switch when they're ready to mount or any behaviors I should keep an eye out for in the bachelor pen to know they're ready?

Back
Top Bottom