What does it mean when you can't see through an egg when candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kat_lacroix, Oct 3, 2009.

1. kat_lacroix

kat_lacroix New Egg

Oct 3, 2009
    I was candling an egg and I can only see into it when I have the flashlight to the air sac.

I moved it down a little bit and could see 1 or 2 veins, but that was all. Is this good?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Normal for around day 18

3. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    normal , thats the chick inside getting ready to hatch

4. kat_lacroix

kat_lacroix New Egg

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm on day 14

is it possible the chick inside is dead?

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like you're right on track! Happy hatching! [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds about right for Day 14--maybe the chick is a little advanced, but it almost certainly is not dead if you're seeing veins and dark. That's GOOD. [​IMG]

7. Grillo

Grillo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Just to make sure, if you can see the egg shell get bright but you see a big SHADOW inside it, then it is OK and it's just the chick inside, you should still be able to see movement inside if you look through the air sack. BUT if you put the candler and the light does not even get across the egg shell and ALL of the egg shell is a dark brown or opaque, then take it out and throw it away, IT IS ROTTEN. Something to look for. Good luck.

8. pluckypecker

pluckypecker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    just a question to clarify on what Grillo said... if you can see the airsac as obviously illuminated and everything else is shadowy, that's a GOOD egg?? and if you put the candler where the air sac should be and don't see ANY illumination, that's a BAD egg?

thanks for the help!

9. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    i am having the same problem with 2 eggs out of the 8 that are incubating. when i put the flashlight up to the air sac i can see through the shell just fine but the rest of the egg is completely dark... no illumination at all. the other 6 i have no problem candling. been wondering if these eggs are good or bad. i did just have to toss 2 eggs today that were weeping and i couldn't see through those either started out with 11 eggs now down to 8 with 6 definately growing chicks and 2 questionable. and still have 12 days to go.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I bought an LED Lenser at Home Depot. Pricey but a good investment. I can see through Marans eggs with it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by