What does it mean?

chicks rule

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
SW MO
When there is little to no development of the eggs in the bator? Is the temp to high, too low, or is a humidity thing?????

I had gotten some Delawares from Ebay (7) and put in nineteen of my own. They just never had any development at all. The Delaware I can understand as they were shipped and I know nothing of the seller or the fertility of the eggs, other than what they put on the auction. As for my own eggs the eggs that I have cooked with did have the little bullseye. That leaves me to wonder if it is something I am doing wrong. I have the bator in my closet, with a beach towel folded in half so it covers the bator. Just searching for ideas of what could be the problem. I did candle them and thought a few were developing but they weren't.

They were due the 12th, pulled them today to put in Cyn's and some more of mine. The grandkids and I just went through and checked them all, no development????

Last edited:
If you see nothing at all, and it's been several days, they're infertile, but if there's any little speck, it depends on what day you're on and the shape of the speck.

Was typing at the same time as you... What day are you on? If you're within the first week, I'd just wait at this point.

Was typing again at the same time
tongue.png
I dunno. Seems like they would've died very early on. My humidity fluctuated quite a bit and both the fertile ones hatched, so I would guess you had the wrong temperature. Maybe your thermometer isn't accurate?

Last edited:
Hard to say. If your own are not developing, then it must be a bator problem since you had a broody hatch chicks for you. How about ventilation? Are they choked for airflow? When you cover the bator with the towel, are you being careful not to cover air holes around the bottom of the bator or any that need to be uncovered elsewhere? Did you finish up the incubation and then crack them open?

I think I would lean towards not enough airflow. Do you cover the entire bator with the towel? Also being in the closet I wouldn't think there would be very good airflow.

Teh temp and humidity right now is 98 and 46%, I just set a new batch of eggs a few hrs ago so the temp should come up. The towel covers three quarters of the top and the sides, one vent hole is open. Yes, finished incubation they were due Weds the 12th.

Back
Top Bottom