What does it take to get lavender mottled?

So do you call them cuckoo or barred? Im still learning
They’re both the same gene, just one is on a fast-feathering bird (cuckoo) and one is on a slow-feathering bird (barring). Orpingtons are usually called cuckoo, but I’m not sure if they’re fast- or slow-feathering.

Barring is sex linked. One of your white hens carried barring but she could only pass it to her male offspring. That's why the ones you produced were males but no females.

Barring is sex linked. One of your white hens carried barring but she could only pass it to her male offspring. That's why the ones you produced were males but no females.
So if I used the two young roosters back on only the lavender mottled hens knowing they are out of a lavender mottled rooster would I get lavender, lav mottled, lavender cockoo or a suprise from the background of the white hens influence. I would just breed them to the lav mot hens not the white ones (knowing these are the likely mothers).

So if I used the two young roosters back on only the lavender mottled hens knowing they are out of a lavender mottled rooster would I get lavender, lav mottled, lavender cockoo or a suprise from the background of the white hens influence. I would just breed them to the lav mot hens not the white ones (knowing these are the likely mothers).
SF cuckoo mottled split to lavender roosters crossed with mottled lavender hens......
All offspring will be mottled. 1/2 will be lavender, 1/2 will be black. 1/2 will be barred and 1/2 won't. Some will carry recessive white sight unseen.
So possible chicks..... Mottled black, mottled lavender, mottled barred black and mottled barred lavender.

Back
Top Bottom