What does "lockdown" mean when incubating eggs?

TheMallardMan

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
North Carolina, US
I am currently incubating 7 mallard eggs (on day 4). I've kept the humidity at or close to 50%, and the temps at 99.5°. I'm using a still air incubator. Could someone please explain to me what lockdown is, and what I should do when that stage approachs? Btw, the first candling is Thursday, so excited! :D

This is the incubator I'm using

When you take egg out of turner and don't open bator till everything's hatched. It keeps the humidity in. Eggs must be out of turner so birds can get on hatch position :)

It has channels in which you can add water too. I'm using an automatic turner, and I'm rotating them in the turner 90° everyday, since it only goes back and forth

What day should I remove the turner and stop turning them? I'm on day 4 right now.
And do I increase the humidity?
Also, what should I put them in if they're not on the turner?

Last edited:
Ducks take 28 days to hatch, so raise the humidity and take out the turner at day 25.

Keep humidity between 35-and 45% as much as possible the first 25 days. Then, up humidity to 75%. 90% is a bit high.

Ducks take 28 days to hatch, so raise the humidity and take out the turner at day 25.

Keep humidity between 35-and 45% as much as possible the first 25 days. Then, up humidity to 75%. 90% is a bit high.

X2 with peep chicken. Day 25 is lockdown for duck eggs. Day 18 is for chicken eggs. When you take them out of the turner and remove it you lay them on their sides in the incubator or you can hatch in cut down egg cartons.

Back
Top Bottom