What does molting look like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QChickieMama, Oct 10, 2014.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    We've had chickens for 4 years. In the last 2 weeks, we've had a hen (1.5 yrs old) start to lose LOTS of feathers. They're from all over her body. She's interacting fine with the other hens. She's roosting during the day some and sleeping in the nest box. I don't think she's been laying for 2 weeks.

Is this normal molting? Should I be doing something about this situation? She doesn't seem to have obvious symptoms on her head.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like a molt. Offer extra protein - mealy worms, cooked eggs. See thread on home page:

Official BYC Contest - Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2014

But keep in mind these are the extreme cases. Mine are going thru softer slower molts..but somedays I find enough feathers it's hard to believe they aren't naked.

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Oh, and look at your chickens skin, if you see short new pins growing , the for sure it's a molt.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The clue is lots of feathers suddenly. For example, last week I knew my youngest was starting molt when I went to pick her up and her entire tail fell off onto the ground.

1 person likes this.
  5. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Looks like a chicken exploded in my back yard

6. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    I'm so relieved! I hope it IS just a sudden molt. I'm just surprised that after 4 years, this is the first situation I've seen quite like this.

She does have pins poking out here and there. I can try to take a photo.

7. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    It is also urged not to handle them during the molt

8. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    After looking at the horrible photos from Home page, I've decided she must be molting. She looks just as pitiful.

Why would she decide to molt just as the weather's cooling down? Isn't she chilly?

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Mine started their first molt in August, had not expected it til Fall.
    But found they molt because days get shorter and not because of temperature.

She may look pitiful now, but as the new feathers come in she'll be beautiful again! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by