What does my chicken have

HannaDolly

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
Is this Sour Crop, Fungal or a Respiratory infection???!

Symptoms: 
Fowl Breath 
Sneezing 
Gooey Eyes 
some slight gurgling sounds. 

Coop environment:
Muck soil indoor coop has hay and some saw dust. Could moldy hay cause all of this?

This has been going on for a few weeks. I culled the two hens that i believe brought it into my coop. 1 of those hens showed symptoms the other did not. I'm wondering if they acquired it here or not and if it is even something that is contiguous given the rest of the flock seems healthy

I have a total of 5 Chickens. 
2 bantys
1 Silver dorking 
1 silver laced 
1 production red

The only two out of those 5 showing symptoms are my bantams.
1 has all symptoms above the other only has the Fowl Breath and thats it. 

The rest act completely healthy. Im at a loss. 

If this a respiratory thing i know i cant treat with antibiotics, but they would be carriers and i don't want my flock to be carriers of this as i intend to Raise and sell Chicks.

I will cull if necessary (even though it will break my heart)  Do i only need to Cull the sick or all of them even if they are healthy?

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE I NEED TO MAKE THIS CHOICE TODAY. 
I DONT WANT IT PASSING ON TO ANYONE ELSE!!

Im ready to go home from work and Strip my coop of everything and bleach the heck out of it. 

Last edited:
WhatI really need to know is if this is curable and if they will remain carriers. If they can be treated and they won't carry it I won't cull. But if they will always be carriers I will be left with no other choice. Lesson learned to not bring in outside birds from anyone but breeders. My mistake is costing me my two friendly little girls :/

PoultryDVM provides a Chicken Symptom Checker Tool - perhaps you should check it out, here is the link to the site - http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Good luck!

Thanks for this link, very handy. I won't forget this one that's for sure. It is looking like it is brooder pneumonia. So I started her on a regime of garlic water and a medicaaged chick feed yogurt mash. Hope she turns around! I know they say there's no real cure so I'll do what I can for this girl. She's one of my little bantys I helped hatch when her mama have up on her.

Back
Top Bottom