What does Quail taste like? Not sure if I want to try them or not....

Elite Silkies

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I am considering hatching some quail to eat. Can anyone tell me what they taste like? If it's not too hard to explain.

What is the difference between button and coturnix (spell)?

I have tried pheasant and did not like it at all.

Not sure how to cook quail either.

I've never raised quail, but I've had the "wild game" variety plenty of times. You're making me wish I was still "back home", and hunting this fall!

Quail has a somewhat more assertive flavor than chicken, but I would say not nearly as strongly flavored as duck. I'd expect that you would like the flavor, unless you are put off by any meat that is not fairly bland. Because it's more strongly flavored than chicken, though, it can stand up well with stronger herbs and spices, a big plus if you like variety in your cooking.

If you've ever had duck and liked it, don't worry about liking quail, you definately will. If duck's too strongly flavored for you, quail may stilll be just right.

I've found that quail goes well with sides like wild rice and mushrooms, or other somewhat strongly flavorful sides ... similar to what you might serve with duck. Like duck, quail can stand up to a good red wine, though you'd probably want a lighter bodied red for quail. I'd call that an advantage over chicken, though, being able to go with a red or a white, depending on how you're cooking it!

You could always buy some quail meat and try it out before raising birds. Since you didn't care for pheasant, this might be a good first step.

Edit: Here's some recipes I found on the Internet:
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/quail-recipe.html
^^ Never tried this, but we used to put cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and lime on birds and grill them and this was the closest I could find in a couple mins of searching.

http://www.quailrecipes.net/

Haven't tried these either (haven't had quail in many years), but the crock pot recipe is somewhat like what we used to make in the slow cooker. Different ingredients, same general concept. Downside of the slow cooker recipe is having to smell it cooking for hours before you get to eat it.

Last edited:
I don't know about the taste of quail {don't have any yet} but the faverd way to cook meat at my grandma's is leave it in buttermilk for at least 24 hours. then drege in sesoned flour and fry. you can add spices to the buttermilk too.

we have tryed it on every typ of game meat we've had and loved it

I'm with wombat. You may want to try to buy quail and try it before you commit to raising them. You will probably pay through the nose for the meat, but at least you know if you like them or not.
Somewhat exotic meats of any kind...(Anything other than chicken, turkey, beef, pork) is a matter of personal choice. Lamb is is common, I just don't care for it. Goat is less common around here, but I can deal with it. I don't happen to like duck, which is one of many reasons I don't raise them etc...

that_crazy_lady (Her name not mine)
smile.png
is on to something. If you can't salt,pepper,flour, and pan fry something that tastes good to you....then no amount of herbs and spices will make it taste good!
Soaked in buttermilk or not. (Nothing wrong with that).

Just MHO.

Ken

I personally think quail is the best, most tender meat you will ever eat but that is just my opinion.
I pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over mine and bake them.

buttons are only ornamental birds... they are so much smaller theres nothing on them to eat but super neat and pretty I have 4 new pets. Courtnix are 2 X bigger... one of the best meat quail there is... I just got started in quail but that much I know!

Back
Top Bottom