what does the PIP sound like?

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
I am worried that I won't know when our chicks pip. What kind of 'sound' is it? And how do you hear it when there are other things going on around the bator and the fan running??

Ours will be coming out of the turner later today for lockdown, so I am just trying to figure out what the pip sounds like or just what to listen for.

You will be able to tell, even with fans running, usually. After the egg has been "jiggling" for a day or so and it is ready to hatch, you can hear faint sounds of peeping inside of the egg. I started hearing the peeping sounds the second or third day after the egg turning stopped. The eggs started "jiggling" on the second day and the chicks hatched within a day or two after. Good luck with your hatchlings!
smile.png

The "pip" isn't a sound to listen for. It is just the first spot the chick has begun to break out of the shell. The internal pip is when they break through the internal membrane into the air sac end of the egg. That's when you will start hearing the chicks peep inside the egg. The external pip is when they use the eggtooth on the end of their beak to make the first break in the outer shell. It can be seen as a tiny chip in the egg.

Okay, when I read 'I hear PIPPING' I was thinking that you actually 'hear' the pip. So it is the chirping that you hear? So really I just need to 'watch' for the pip and listen for the chirping.

Think I got it now.
wink.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks. I don't know
idunno.gif
what we are actually hatching, all I know is they are chickens.
lol.png

The eggs were given to us from 2 different homeschool families, well 6 eggs were from a homeschool family that raises chickens and the other 13 came from a doctor that knows the other homeschool family. I had to mark them with the letter of where they came from, not sure how I will tell them apart when they get here, maybe I should have done the dye thing, my son wanted to, but I was afraid to do that with our first hatch.
hmm.png

You are in for a real treat watching the chicks start hatching!
pop.gif
Once they start in "rolling" inside the egg, puncturing open the egg with their beak tooth, you will be on pins and needles. Some chicks will start in and never stop till the egg is completely severed open. Some will take breaks. But once they start in on pushing out of the egg, it is amazing to watch them come out of the egg. They will be wet and tired. Don't take them out of the bator until they are dry, (all fluffy) usually a hour or more, that way they won't get cold when you switch them over to the brooder.

Hatching is fun. Enjoy the show!
smile.png

Quote:
Oh I don't know who is more psyched about this, me or my 9 yro son. He has been wanting chicks for a few years and I didn't want to purchase them from TSC, and we didn't have the money for a bator till this year. My son is on the Autism Spectrum and he gets a check now that we can use for school stuff and clothing, etc. Well since the chicks will be for both school and an on-going project, I thought we would purchase the bator with his money and just start the cycle.

I wish his 4-H Club had a chicken program, but I can't find any information on their webpage. I thought maybe he could take them to the fair or something. They probably have to be pure bred though for that, ours I am sure are mutts.
big_smile.png

Pipping - when the chick breaks a crack in the shell to begin its hatching (also pips the inner membrane before this to breathe in its first breath of air from the air cell)
Peeping - the sound the chick makes, even before it pips the shell because it can breathe air now and vocalize. The shell is air permeable, so it can breathe for a while this way. It will continue to do so until it may even drive a person crazy because they don't shut up and in the incubator it echos the sound .
Zipping - when the chick cracks a line around the egg from the inside so that it can push the end off and emerge. It uses its egg tooth to break the membrane and then get the shell cracked in a line.

Pooping - what your chick will start doing once it is on its legs and moving and it won't stop until death do it part.

Back
Top Bottom