What does this mean?-"Ritual Dance"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by easttxchick, Dec 14, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I bought some ducks at a show this past weekend and they are exhibiting a behavior I have never seen before(I've heard of it, though).
    They just all get in a circle and walk around and around.
    What does that mean? I am attributing it to the stress of all of the traveling they've done the last few days, but is it something else?

2. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Do they make kind of clucky noises while they do it? My three girls will do that when they are irritated about something or not entirely happy about something. For example if they don't want to be picked up and snuggled, my husband never bothers with what they want and will just go right on ahead and pick them up and snuggle them. When he puts them back down, they get into a circle and go round and sort of cluck. I think it generally means they are a bit irritated and are prissin about it. They put their heads in the centre like they are having a little angry meeting.
    Is this the kind of circle yours are doing? Or are yours doing something else?
    xxxx

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    At times they'll make a little noise.
    I've heard that they'll do this when one of their flock mates dies, also. Guess that's why I attributed to stress of one kind or another.
    Mine have NO PROBLEM letting me know when they're aggravated-believe me, they're VERY vocal about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by