what does this mean? stomping and scratching.......... pics added!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StellaLenoir, Oct 30, 2007.

1. StellaLenoir

StellaLenoir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    My 21 week old chick, who is most likely a rooster, will come up to me and stomp and scratch the ground right in front of me. What does this mean? I will pet him and today he laid down while I was petting! Sat there very still till I stopped, then stomped and scratched again. Not mean at all, but he will do it the whole time I am sitting with them. He is the only one to do this.

Both the chicks that are roosters, but not the top rooster, will squat and let me pet them. They come up to me the most to be pet. They also make a keening kind of noise and only cluck. NO crowing.

THe head roo, crows and does not come up for pets too often.

THe one and only hen, comes up, but does not like to be pet. She makes the same clucks as the 2 roos that are not boss.

What does it mean????

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I'm kinda new with chickens myself but it sounds like your roos may be hens. That's what hens do when ready to breed and lay.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I too am leaning towards they are hens. I've never had a roo "submit" like that. Do they have pointy saddle and hackle feathers? Do have pictures?

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have a hen who will squat in front of me. She is an e.e. and I think her full ear-muffs effect her vision and she thinks I am the roo. [​IMG]

5. StellaLenoir

Oct 25, 2007
    This is the Roo? that will stomp and scratch and then let me pet it and it sits there very calm. No crowing, only cluck noises. and a 'buckaw' noise. This one only started getting boy feathers in the last 2 weeks or so. It is 21 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one lets me pet it and sits there, no crowing, makes a keening noise like a whine, and clucks and has had boy feathers a long time. Also 21 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both of these sleep with the hen, and hang out with her the most. Lay together, forage together, ect.

The BIg rooster who crows is the one to stand off and watch. He has been crowing for 1.5 months. 21 weeks old just like the rest. Bigger wattles and longer boy feathers. Does not seem to be as vocal as the others, not clucking or many noises, except for the crow.

No eggs from anyone. ;(

6. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    wow, are those polish?

7. StellaLenoir

Oct 25, 2007
    I think so, some sort of Polish anyway. I got them from a local feed store. They called them Rare Breed Chicks.

They are my first ever chickens!

My one hen is a mottled houdan I think. 5 toes and is mottled. lol.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Weird. Stomping and scratching sounds like the rooster dance when they're wooing hens. I'd describe what my boys do that way, plus they extend/drag one wing when they do it.

9. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    My leghorn roos do the same dance everytime i come near them, I thought it was to try to scare me away, like trying to be a tough guy. lol

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'd say he thinks you're his hen LOL! Either he's flirting with you or showing you food...tee hee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by