what does this mean? stomping and scratching.......... pics added!!!

StellaLenoir

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
My 21 week old chick, who is most likely a rooster, will come up to me and stomp and scratch the ground right in front of me. What does this mean? I will pet him and today he laid down while I was petting! Sat there very still till I stopped, then stomped and scratched again. Not mean at all, but he will do it the whole time I am sitting with them. He is the only one to do this.

Both the chicks that are roosters, but not the top rooster, will squat and let me pet them. They come up to me the most to be pet. They also make a keening kind of noise and only cluck. NO crowing.

THe head roo, crows and does not come up for pets too often.

THe one and only hen, comes up, but does not like to be pet. She makes the same clucks as the 2 roos that are not boss.

What does it mean????

Last edited:
I too am leaning towards they are hens. I've never had a roo "submit" like that. Do they have pointy saddle and hackle feathers? Do have pictures?

I have a hen who will squat in front of me. She is an e.e. and I think her full ear-muffs effect her vision and she thinks I am the roo.
gig.gif

This is the Roo? that will stomp and scratch and then let me pet it and it sits there very calm. No crowing, only cluck noises. and a 'buckaw' noise. This one only started getting boy feathers in the last 2 weeks or so. It is 21 weeks old.

100_2348-1.jpg

100_2359.jpg

This one lets me pet it and sits there, no crowing, makes a keening noise like a whine, and clucks and has had boy feathers a long time. Also 21 weeks old.
100_2356.jpg

100_2357.jpg

Both of these sleep with the hen, and hang out with her the most. Lay together, forage together, ect.

The BIg rooster who crows is the one to stand off and watch. He has been crowing for 1.5 months. 21 weeks old just like the rest. Bigger wattles and longer boy feathers. Does not seem to be as vocal as the others, not clucking or many noises, except for the crow.

No eggs from anyone. ;(

Last edited:
I think so, some sort of Polish anyway. I got them from a local feed store. They called them Rare Breed Chicks.

They are my first ever chickens!

My one hen is a mottled houdan I think. 5 toes and is mottled. lol.

Last edited:
My leghorn roos do the same dance everytime i come near them, I thought it was to try to scare me away, like trying to be a tough guy. lol

Back
Top Bottom