What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by S*T*A*R, Oct 20, 2010.

1. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I got my first successful chickens in March 2010 and they're about 20-30 weeks right now. I've been noticing a very strange behavior. My two Americaunas have been jumping up and down and repeatedly striking at each other. I do not know the sexes yet, but could one of them be a rooster? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Post pictures to identify gender, males and females will fight for pecking order.

3. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    The picture that i have for my avatar is one of my americaunas. The other one is slightly darker. Plus i don't know how to post pictures. [​IMG]

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    S*T*A*R :

I got my first successful chickens in March 2010 and they're about 20-30 weeks right now. I've been noticing a very strange behavior. My two Americaunas have been jumping up and down and repeatedly striking at each other. I do not know the sexes yet, but could one of them be a rooster? [​IMG]

99% sure your avatar is a pullet ; and its an EE , not an Ameraucana . As already stated , both sexes spar for flock status .​

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Yes, it sounds like they're trying to duke it out to establish the pecking order.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  7. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    So all ya'll are saying that a cock and a pullet are fighting over pecking order?

8. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    no, If they are both pullets they are fighting to establish pecking order. My hens do this sometimes.

9. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Your Americauna looks like my EE. My EE was advertised as an Americauna, but through research, I discovered her true EE status. She's lovely and produces beautiful blue/green eggs.

My Rhodies and EE exhibit the same body-slamming behavior. Nobody gets hurt, and they don't appear irritated, so I don't get too excited about it. They kinda look like schoolboys on a playground, which makes me laugh at them. Anyway, I wouldn't be too bothered by it, provided there are no wounds or injuries [​IMG]

10. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm not worried about them pecking at each other, i just need to find out if one of them is a rooster. I'm not allowed to have roosters, so i would need to get rid of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by