what does this noise mean??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenkeeperD, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ChickenkeeperD

ChickenkeeperD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    Hi,

I have two very cute two week old (almost three) chicks and was wondering if anyone knew what a small chirpy sound is about?
    I was wondering if they are distressed and obviously, how to make it better! They make it quite alot but are, just now having a,snooze!
    They have a red 100w heat lamp and they sleep under it (but not huddled) so I don't think its heat related but I just don't know!
    Thanks all,

Danielle x ps I have hopefully uploaded a picture if their set up! The red light doesn't make for good pictures though!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Chicks chirp. It's what they do. If they are too cold they are going to huddle under the light and if to hot they are going to move as far away as they can. If they are in trouble, fighting, or hurt they are going to chirp loud (like you would if you stubbed your toe, LOL!). If content, then it's quieter or maybe not at all.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Is it more of a trilling than chirping? Kind of extended like a tree frog makes? Do they do it just before they clump together to sleep at night?

It's the most wonderful sound I've heard chicks make, and they continue this "bedtime" trilling for a few months after they get their adult voices, and then it sounds like chicks chirping.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kylea0219

Kylea0219 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    Varysburg, NY
    Mine chicks are 4 weeks old and they make a variety of different chirps and chucks. You will know if something is wrong. My heat lamp shifted in the night and I heard them making loud shrill peeps. So I got up and fixed their light and everything is fine. I didn't cook my little little girls. But they make more noises as they get older totally normal. But mine peep and cluck and make that awesome trilling noise all day as they go about their chicken stuff.

5. ChickenkeeperD

ChickenkeeperD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks all!! That's all I needed to know!
    Yes it is like a quiet shrilling noise, they do it before they sleep but also at random times during the day.

Thanks all for the reassurance

Danni x

6. FrankA

FrankA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Long Island NY
    LOL [​IMG].

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I call it their bedtime stories. I rather enjoy hearing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by