What does this poop mean? Looks strange.

Sabavana

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Hello, this morning I noticed one of my girls not being quite as active as usual, comb slightly down, and tail not as high as usual. She also had this poop hanging from her bottom.
More info: She used to be the Head Honcho Hen, but got an infection a couple of months ago which she was on antibiotics for, and has moved down the rung. Still eating ok.

Is a vet visit in order or can I treat this at home? I have brought her inside to isolate her from the others. Thanks!

Hello, this morning I noticed one of my girls not being quite as active as usual, comb slightly down, and tail not as high as usual. She also had this poop hanging from her bottom. More info: She used to be the Head Honcho Hen, but got an infection a couple of months ago which she was on antibiotics for, and has moved down the rung. Still eating ok. Is a vet visit in order or can I treat this at home? I have brought her inside to isolate her from the others. Thanks!
Could be infection... Probably best to get her to a vet. -Kathy

Thanks for your replies casportpony and BethMatt. I took Midori to the vet, and she was diagnosed with an impacted ovary duct. It seems the prognosis is poor, with surgery not having a great chance of her pulling through it, and antibiotics likely not going to have much of an effect at this point She's also stopped eating, not even interesting in corn. My hubby and I have decided that we will try the antibiotics for a few days, but it looks likely that we'll be scheduling her final vet visit soon - so upsetting, she is such a precious girl
sad.png

Thanks for your replies casportpony and BethMatt.  I took Midori to the vet, and she was diagnosed with an impacted ovary duct.  It seems the prognosis is poor, with surgery not having a great chance of her pulling through it, and antibiotics likely not going to have much of an effect at this point  She's also stopped eating, not even interesting in corn.  My hubby and I have decided that we will try the antibiotics for a few days, but it looks likely that we'll be scheduling her final vet visit soon - so upsetting, she is such a precious girl :(
[/quote

So sorry, losing one is never easy hope the mess work, please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom