What does your dream coop have?

Massive ventilation.

Walk-in.

Divisible to allow separation of subflocks and/or rotation through pens/runs.

Built-in brooder area and a place for one or more broodies to raise chicks.

Outside access to feeders, waterers, and nestboxes.

Electricity and water.

Storage.

Did you steal my list from my brain @3KillerBs?? Lol

This was so helpful! We are in the middle of expanding our coop/run and I never thought about making an access from the outside for the nesting boxes. I was just going to build them and put them in there, but DING! Lightbulb went off. If I put them on a certain wall then I can make a door to get the eggs! Then I don't have to put on my "chicken poop" shoes to go check for eggs each day! THANK YOU! Still new to all of this and hearing from other experience is so helpful! Also going to work on the feeding from the outside next!
I must say, having access to the eggs from outside is super convenient. Easy to adapt to your plan too.

This was so helpful! We are in the middle of expanding our coop/run and I never thought about making an access from the outside for the nesting boxes. I was just going to build them and put them in there, but DING! Lightbulb went off. If I put them on a certain wall then I can make a door to get the eggs! Then I don't have to put on my "chicken poop" shoes to go check for eggs each day! THANK YOU! Still new to all of this and hearing from other experience is so helpful! Also going to work on the feeding from the outside next!
Even with outside access to the nests, your chicken poop shoes will still be handy. 😂Everyone in my family has a pair. I had feeding from the outside figured out until my last young batch of pullets started scattering food everywhere! Now it’s back to the TSC hanging feeder.

What a fun post! Would love to be able to access the coop from more than one door, so that I could rotate the run space with electric fencing when they are not ranging around, and keep the covered run(s) greener. I have a friend who does that, and plants cover crops so that they can have access 3 seasons. Would also appreciate electricity and water, and a huge predator-proof run. And windows. Storage area. And landscaping. Wind block. Covered shelter for food in the run. Little lean-to wind block in the run. Just got out the graph paper to redesign a few things!!!! See ya'll in the spring with my dream coop!

Back
Top Bottom