What does your duck house look like?

Pics
Can you explain about the de-icer in the pool?
Hoping to keep my ducks outside next winter, so need to know these useful things!

Can you explain about the de-icer in the pool?
Hoping to keep my ducks outside next winter, so need to know these useful things!

It is just a drop in de-icer, usually used for horse/cattle water tanks. It keeps the water just above freezing so it won't ice over

Here's a stock tank de-icer... It can do 500 gallons and is thermostatically controlled. I bought it for my duck pool... But when -20 C becomes the regular temp it doesn't work for the pool so well, plus I didn't want them swimming in those temps.... So I use it in a bucket.... I bring them a huge bowl of water when the weather is warmer... One they can sit in

Here's the super cute little house my hubby built for my new Pekins :) they are in a 50x50 run fenced with six foot wood fence with a six foot chain link front facing my house. They are locked in their house at night for safety but left out during the day. It has a very large hinged door on the backside for cleaning. We put in a small pond for them but I think it needs to be a bit bigger. I currently have four that are about two mos old. Hoping to have babies someday. Lots of great house and run ideas on this thread.

Last edited:
Newpeepmama, I love your home! That adorable path for the ducks is charming and inviting and the whole pen layout is so well organized. Gorgeous!!!

The house is 4ft.x 8ft.set on 12" 4x4 legs, shingled roof. inside is linoleum floor over treated wood, three 12"x16" windows covered in 1/2 " hardware cloth and each has a shutter cover with latch hardware. Entrance/exit door is not covered and has no door because the run pen is predator proof, so they can come and go as they please..door to log cabin has security latch's and carabiner clip. pen is 8ft.X16 Ft. fully covered including top with 1/2 " hardware cloth and 12" of hardware cloth buried into ground around perimeter of run pen. pen also has same security latch with carabiner clip as log cabin. small pool which we plan on replacing with larger pool soon. just installed awning over pop door because rain blew into floor of house. now it doesn't. windows can be closed or opened depending on weather. main door is large enough to put wheelbarrow outside and rake dirty bedding into it. food and water are outside. ramp has fenced rails from house to ground so ducks will not leap from ramp. also serves as a cattle chute to herd them inside in case of bad weather. we were planning on painting house but it turned out to look so much like a log cabin we decided to leave it as is.

This has been a very helpful thread. I am going to check out the kennel grates and horse stall mats.
My Silkie hatched out a khaki Campbell yesterday and hoping the other 2 eggs hatch too.

I am hoping they all live happily together

Back
Top Bottom