What does your duck house look like?

My ducks live on an old swimming pool, sharing it with bull frogs and koi. They have a floating duck house to protect them from predators. This Spring I will be adding a pen at one end of the pool and another duck house within the pen so that the floating house isn't their only option. Thus far they have seemed quite content and they lay eggs steadily. Once the pen is built I will add a drake.

And here is where we are so far...
CAM02968_zps6bebe7f0.jpg

I am in love with this idea! It is exactly what I picture, when I think of building my enclosure! Can you tell me how its been working out for you!? Anything you would of changed? Do you have winter/snow/freezing temps, how are the ducks handling it? How large is the nesting/laying area!? Did you end up sealing/painting the plywood? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much! Again, Love it!

I fell in love with your design mostly due to the fact of how the pool looked with the entire coop. As I posted on facebook, our ducks went from a cage to a mansion straight with a pool included! I copied your design...you didn't have plans so I went the best way possible since I'm not a carpenter by all means and I love it. I think it came out pretty good! Thank you for providing the idea as I wasn't finding anything I liked and I wanted to build it myself not buy a coop. I do have one question though, do you have a ramp or have you experienced the ducks unable to get out of the pool? I have one smaller duck out of the 3 and it can't seem to get out of the pool. I was going to build a ramp but not sure how to make it water proof.

Put the finishing touches to the duck chalet, also they have a slightly larger pool which they seem to enjoy. We emptied it yesterday using a small 300 gph pump which worked quite well.

Back
Top Bottom