what dual purpose breed would you recommend?

i would go for light sussex personally they are good layers and tubby little hens

I love Lt Sussex but they are hard to fine and so expensive in US I'm in Louisiana and next door in Texas I found a good breeder. But it's $175 for 6 2wk old chicks. Only way I can get them. Just too much for my budget so I've decided to go with White Rocks and upgrade quality when I can. I got 5 females and 2 roosters but 1 roo died. Along with a few Golden Comets for eggs and 3 Delaware (started out at 7) Bad weather caused wretched hatches this year.
sad.png

I've been reading up on Bielefelders for the last few weeks. I'm thinking I may bite the bullet and get me a starter flock from
Omega Hills, http://omegahillsfarm.com/product/bielefelder-starter-flock/. Yea, it's $225 for 6 chicks but that'll keep you for at least a generation or 2 then buy you another rooster for $25 bucks and you're back in business.

With 10-13 pound roosters, good laying abilities, plus the bonus of auto-sexing at birth you know which ones to throw on extra high protein feed to fatten up for butchering and which ones to put on plain jane starter feed, to get em up to laying. Go out there and save you a couple of the best roosters for breeding and you're job is over.

But I've just been researching the breed some. Right now I have Buff Orps and am probably just gonna breed out mixes til I can afford Bielefelders. If I ever get them. Who knows.

I love Lt Sussex but they are hard to fine and so expensive in US   I'm in Louisiana and next door in Texas I found a good breeder.   But it's $175 for 6 2wk old chicks.  Only way I can get them.  Just too much for my budget so I've decided to go with White Rocks and upgrade quality when I can.  I got 5 females and 2 roosters but 1 roo died.  Along with a few Golden Comets for eggs and 3 Delaware (started out at 7)  Bad weather caused wretched hatches this year.   :(
I am in Ireland and they are very common I got a dozen hatching eggs for 10€

Back
Top Bottom