what dual purpose breed would you recommend?

We chose Black Java's as our dual-purpose.

Why?

Plus's: dark feathers with a beautiful green sheen means hawks have a harder time catching them (huge hawk predator load here); large bodied, full-sized chickens; great layers (average of 5 eggs/wk from one hen); lay throughout the winter (now 3yrs old, that's two winters - no decrease in lay rate at all); broody in May only, so they do raise a batch of chicks and are good mothers, typically not ending 'mothering' until chicks are nearly 5wks old; friendly birds but not overly (so I can mow with them out without fearing they'll be beneath my feet); excellent foragers; love to eat ants and flies; good cockerals in that they understand they're not the top of the pecking order (I am).

Minus's: dark pin feathers are a pain to deal with in the meat - but as we only 'harvest' the cockerals, it's not too many to deal with overall for us (less than 2 doz/yr); cockerals begin crowing actively by 12-14wks, we don't harvest until about 16-20wks - so it can get a bit noisy 'round the yard; cockerals do not develop good chest meat until after 30wks, so white meat is low until then - but if you do get them full sized, you end up with a 6+# carcass; tend to wreck their run quickly with foraging.

But mostly because it's an endangered breed that is local to me (so I can get chicks easily and inexpensively, we rotate cockerals annually) - so I'm helping restore a breed and also have beautiful hens and chicks to watch! Dual win for me too!

We chose Black Java's as our dual-purpose.

Why?

Plus's: dark feathers with a beautiful green sheen means hawks have a harder time catching them (huge hawk predator load here); large bodied, full-sized chickens; great layers (average of 5 eggs/wk from one hen); lay throughout the winter (now 3yrs old, that's two winters - no decrease in lay rate at all); broody in May only, so they do raise a batch of chicks and are good mothers, typically not ending 'mothering' until chicks are nearly 5wks old; friendly birds but not overly (so I can mow with them out without fearing they'll be beneath my feet); excellent foragers; love to eat ants and flies; good cockerals in that they understand they're not the top of the pecking order (I am).

Minus's: dark pin feathers are a pain to deal with in the meat - but as we only 'harvest' the cockerals, it's not too many to deal with overall for us (less than 2 doz/yr); cockerals begin crowing actively by 12-14wks, we don't harvest until about 16-20wks - so it can get a bit noisy 'round the yard; cockerals do not develop good chest meat until after 30wks, so white meat is low until then - but if you do get them full sized, you end up with a 6+# carcass; tend to wreck their run quickly with foraging.

But mostly because it's an endangered breed that is local to me (so I can get chicks easily and inexpensively, we rotate cockerals annually) - so I'm helping restore a breed and also have beautiful hens and chicks to watch! Dual win for me too!
By going back to the same source, are you 'actually' bringing in new blood year after year- or just bringing in distant full siblings?

I love Delawares. The hens lay 3-4 eggs a week and are friendly and calm. The roosters are not aggressive and very attractive. I slaughtered about 12 roos at 4.5 months and got 3-3.5 lb carcass weights. These were just hatchery birds. I suspect if you got some of Whitmore Farm's Delawares, they'd do even better. Oh, and they were delicious...way better than any broiler I've raised and I've raised from Conish X to Label Rouge (my preference for broilers). If I was just raising birds for my own family, I'd go 100% with Delawares. Easy to clean also.

The ONLY downside I've had is a hawk got a notion to eat white Delawares last winter. He'd fly past the brown or darker birds to get a Delaware.

I have a batch of Spotted Sussex about 4 weeks old now that I'm raising so it will be interesting to compare them to the Delawares. I believe Delawares are still on the list as being endangered also. I have no idea why a they are lovely birds..my favorite so far and I've raised a number of breeds now.

Last edited:

My two best black laced red cornish backyard meat bird cockerels from this year's hatch. They are aproaching 5 months of age- and weigh well over 10 pounds each. I have not decided which one to remain to breed with for next year- and which is to be sold or ate.

I chose dorkings for my Dual Purpose breed of choice they are less meaty than Cornish X for sure but are fat and wonderful anytime between 16 weeks and 24 weeks. I have heard that standard cornish are also another good meat bird.

I've gone with Buff Orpingtons. The cockerels grow at a respectable rate and the hens are great layers, (and would make good stew when they stop laying.) They're docile, and have great personalities and are pretty reliable as far as broodiness goes. Now if you're wanting more meat then eggs I'd say raise Cornish all the way. I'm just in a bind now only having room for one breed and raising the Buff's with the thought process of keep the pullets, kill the cockerels so there's food on the table at both breakfast and dinner. lol. Good Luck

I'd have to suggest Cornish. Not Cornish Cross, but regular old Cornish. I bought my Dark's at Murray McMurray hatchery, and butchered my first cockerel at about 15 weeks. He dressed out the just under 5 lbs. I have not had Cornish hens, so I can't personally comment on the laying ability, but I have heard from others that they are in fact quite good layers.

I thought about going with a standard Cornish but already had quite a few Buff Orpington's and would have had to buy an entirely new flock to go with a Cornish flock. Maybe after a year or 2 with Buff's and then a swap. Or maybe keep my Buff's and just have an additional breed pen for some extra color.

Back
Top Bottom