What duck breeds should I get!?

I have one Chicken like that...She is a Speckled Sussex named Bonnie........She thinks she is a Dog or a Duck?....The Ducks chase her away though...lol.......Silly Birds......Yes, I have fantastic Ducks......Sweet feathered Puppies!

Cheers!

I find it adorable when they do it. Of course, then they poop on the deck plus the dog freaks out so I usually try to lure them off as soon as possible, but they are so smart they have figured out that that works to get what they want lol

And aw poor thing! Haha does she not like the other chickens?

But wow that's great! In that case, I can't wait to get some haha

Wow they sound great! I hadn't even considered or thought of them so I'll have to look into them!
smile.png

Probably true. They all sound great. Maybe I will have to get them all haha

I was wondering that too, if they get along with the other ducks or would need to be housed separately
Yeah, that would be my only concern.
hmm.png

Yeah, that would be my only concern.:/

Yeah, same here. If they get along I might look into them but if I would have to build a separate house, maybe not.

And besides that, both the hatcheries I was thinking of getting the other ducks from (Metzer and Meyer) don't seem to carry Muscovy? Where does one get them?

Yeah, same here. If they get along I might look into them but if I would have to build a separate house, maybe not.

And besides that, both the hatcheries I was thinking of getting the other ducks from (Metzer and Meyer) don't seem to carry Muscovy? Where does one get them?
I would go with Metzer's! No, they don't... I'm not sure who does.
hmm.png

i have 2 blue swedes and 1 indian runner. they have a separate house then the chickens, but they share the same run. so they can use each others coop if they feel like it. which they do sometimes, the chickens will lay in the duck house and the ducks sometimes decide it is a good idea to sleepover with the chickens there doesnt seem to be any apparent reason for either to occur, they just get the urge and there you go.

There are a number of hatcheries that sell Muscovy ducklings (and hatching eggs) - I acquired mine locally and hatch my own eggs. While I've never purchased from them, I'm pretty sure I've seen Al's Quackery post here on BYC: http://alsquackery.weebly.com/muscovy-ducks.html. Also, while this thread is oldish, there are other hatcheries discussed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624869/where-to-buy-muscovy-ducks.

So far, I've only introduced a Pekin drake to the Muscovy coop (and they just ignored him), but I'll be integrating a Runner and her mixed ducklings soon. I'm not worried about violence ensuing, but (as with any integration), I'll be monitoring the situation to ensure that no one gets hurt. The Runner is pretty small so would probably be squished by a Muscovy drake - about twice her weight - if one attempted to breed with her.

FYI, Muscovy ducks fly very well, so clipping wings is usually needed, and they have powerful wings and clawed feet...they can be very difficult to hold. I'd probably classify them as a breed for "intermediate" duck keepers.

I would go with Metzer's! No, they don't... I'm not sure who does.:/

Yeah, I think I am going to. Meyer is a little bit more expensive anyway, especially with the WH, and they don't have Black Swedish. I got my chickens from them and loved them but I think I will go with a waterfowl expert for ducks lol although I am a little concerned about the journey from California? Meyer is in Ohio and I am in Massachusetts so it took less tome, got here next day in fact. Yeah, I'm not sure who does.

Maybe the best thing to do would be, to just get the other ducks and then later on if you were still interested you could get some Muscovy's.

Yeah, I think I will just do that.

From what I have been told, Muscovy act like a cross between a Chicken/Duck/Goose.........I have never owned any...So only what I have heard.....I love Old style Ducks....Farm Ducks.....Mixed Ducks!....I love all Ducks!!

Cheers!

Wow they sure sound like an interesting combination! Hah

i have 2 blue swedes and 1 indian runner. they have a separate house then the chickens, but they share the same run. so they can use each others coop if they feel like it. which they do sometimes, the chickens will lay in the duck house and the ducks sometimes decide it is a good idea to sleepover with the chickens there doesnt seem to be any apparent reason for either to occur, they just get the urge and there you go. 

They sound wonderful but that is funny they like to share coops

There are a number of hatcheries that sell Muscovy ducklings (and hatching eggs) - I acquired mine locally and hatch my own eggs. While I've never purchased from them, I'm pretty sure I've seen Al's Quackery post here on BYC: http://alsquackery.weebly.com/muscovy-ducks.html. Also, while this thread is oldish, there are other hatcheries discussed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624869/where-to-buy-muscovy-ducks

So far, I've only introduced a Pekin drake to the Muscovy coop (and they just ignored him), but I'll be integrating a Runner and her mixed ducklings soon. I'm not worried about violence ensuing, but (as with any integration), I'll be monitoring the situation to ensure that no one gets hurt. The Runner is pretty small so would probably be squished by a Muscovy drake - about twice her weight - if one attempted to breed with her. 

FYI, Muscovy ducks fly very well, so clipping wings is usually needed, and they have powerful wings and clawed feet...they can be very difficult to hold. I'd probably classify them as a breed for "intermediate" duck keepers.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. And it's good to know they could possibly be housed together.

But wow, maybe I should get other breeds first then and then get them?

Cause I can barely even hold onto my chickens. In fact, I can't really. :lau

Back
Top Bottom