What duck breeds should I get!?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Okay so I've been thinking about adding some ducks and/or some more chickens and I'm still not 100 percent sure what breeds I want to get!

I have some ideas but would appreciate any help.

I want a duck that is fairly friendly and fairly quiet. Also preferably good looking or colorful but that's not a necessity as long as they have a good temperament. The ducks would probably be mostly pets and yard candy/lawn ornaments so to speak, more so than the chickens which are both pets and eggs. But we would probably eat the ducks eggs too or sell them maybe. I have never had duck eggs before and neither has anyone in the family so we have no idea what to expect.

Speaking of the chickens, the chickens are mostly penned but sometimes I let them free range so the ducks would need to get along with the chickens.

I am thinking either all females like with my chickens or just 1 drake.

If I had it my way, I would have every duck, but I do want to try to limit it at first to maybe 4-6 ducks but possibly up to 8 if necessary.

The breeds I have been considering are as follows, in no particular order:

Rouen
Buff
Blue Swedish
Black Swedish
Khaki Campbell
Welsh Harlequin

And possibly a Pekin or Runner.

Perhaps I could just get one of each breed?

If I got a drake, I was thinking of a WH pair, but it might be best to not get a drake, I only want them for looks, no breeding plans and after talking to some people, it might not be worth it.

Anyway, feel free to suggest any other breeds not on the list and/or provide more info on any of them.

Thanks

Hello....You will love your Ducks....I sure love mine....Silly Birds.....I have two that are imprinted on me...A Welsh Drake and a Buff Hen...My other 4 Ducks also like me, although they are not imprinted.....Very friendly Ducks.....I love all Ducks...I can not say which is better than the other?......I have 3 Calls,1 Drake and 2 Hens they are loud...I have the Welsh Drake, Buff Hen and a Saxony Hen....A friendly breed of Chicken is the Speckled Sussex...I have one named Bonnie and she follows me all over the place, chats away at me.....I never held her as a Chick either...She is just that way...

My Ducks waiting for me to come back outside......lol........

Cheers!

I don't see Muscovy on your list, so I'm going to suggest them for the following reasons:
  • Intelligent and curious, lots of personality
  • Very quiet - quieter than Pekins or Runners (and I have those, too)
  • Great foragers
  • Hardy - do well in cold or hot temperatures
  • Excellent broodies - they'll hatch their own eggs, or other poultry eggs, and are amazing mothers
  • Nice eggs - they don't lay as many as mallard-derived breeds, but their eggs are delicious with strong shells
  • Gorgeous - some people don't like the caruncling (I don't get that), but they come in an amazing assortment of colors and patterns
  • Amazing meat (I know you want pets, but am throwing this out there for consideration, anyway)

Mine get along well with my chickens and are generally mellow. They won't come sit on your lap, though.
smile.png
I just want to clarify that most of these points are the same for mallard diverted breeds also. Are your ducks all okay living together?

There are a number of hatcheries that sell Muscovy ducklings (and hatching eggs) - I acquired mine locally and hatch my own eggs. While I've never purchased from them, I'm pretty sure I've seen Al's Quackery post here on BYC: http://alsquackery.weebly.com/muscovy-ducks.html. Also, while this thread is oldish, there are other hatcheries discussed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624869/where-to-buy-muscovy-ducks.

So far, I've only introduced a Pekin drake to the Muscovy coop (and they just ignored him), but I'll be integrating a Runner and her mixed ducklings soon. I'm not worried about violence ensuing, but (as with any integration), I'll be monitoring the situation to ensure that no one gets hurt. The Runner is pretty small so would probably be squished by a Muscovy drake - about twice her weight - if one attempted to breed with her.

FYI, Muscovy ducks fly very well, so clipping wings is usually needed, and they have powerful wings and clawed feet...they can be very difficult to hold. I'd probably classify them as a breed for "intermediate" duck keepers.

i too am considering getting some blue swedish, welsh harlequins, and maybe some runners. i want to breed ducks so i want a good broody duck. im also not sure if 1 or 2 runner females would fit in well with a blue swedish drake.
:confused:

I think the male/female ratio might be a little small? But I'm not sure and some people do have duck trios and they do fine so I'm not sure if it's different for ducks.

But I would maybe try to have 5 females for him if you can?

Or if not maybe like 3-4 or 2-3 or something?

I think at least 3 females would probably be good

Well, first of all I think that's great that you want to get ducks, you will LOVE them! Duck eggs are just as good as any chicken egg and some people say they are even better. I'm sure they would get along. You want at least 2-3 hens for one drake. I LOVE having all different breeds, so if I were you I would get one of each! Runners are very fun and I highly recommend them to any duck person! If your not interested in breeding, I would still get a drake to be the leader of the flock. I think runner drakes are the best for the job and seem to treat the hens the best!

Hope I helped!
smile.png

Well, first of all I think that's great that you want to get ducks, you will LOVE them! Duck eggs are just as good as any chicken egg and some people say they are even better. I'm sure they would get along. You want at least 2-3 hens for one drake. I LOVE having all different breeds, so if I were you I would get one of each! Runners are very fun and I highly recommend them to any duck person! If your not interested in breeding, I would still get a drake to be the leader of the flock. I think runner drakes are the best for the job and seem to treat the hens the best! 

Hope I helped!:)

Thanks for the info! That's good to know that duck eggs are good :) I've heard they are richer or creamier or something though? I love having all different breeds too, my chickens are a mixed flock too, and it is easier to tell them apart. So I guess I will be getting one of each lol I hadn't even thought of a Runner drake, that is a great idea! Especially since I heard that runners can be a little loud so maybe if I got a drake it would be a little quieter? Or even if not, I'd get to have one more different breed instead of 2 WH, even though they're pretty.

But I'm not sure of drakes are worth it or not?

You definitely did help so thanks :)

Thanks for the info! That's good to know that duck eggs are good
smile.png
I've heard they are richer or creamier or something though? I love having all different breeds too, my chickens are a mixed flock too, and it is easier to tell them apart. So I guess I will be getting one of each lol I hadn't even thought of a Runner drake, that is a great idea! Especially since I heard that runners can be a little loud so maybe if I got a drake it would be a little quieter? Or even if not, I'd get to have one more different breed instead of 2 WH, even though they're pretty.

But I'm not sure of drakes are worth it or not?

You definitely did help so thanks
smile.png
They are kind of like chicken eggs with butter...
droolin.gif
Sounds good! Yeah, drakes tend to be a little quieter. I LOVE our Welsh hen Lucy!

I think you would be happy with just one flock leader.

Your welcome!

Back
Top Bottom