What duck breeds should I get!?

I would go with Metzer's! No, they don't... I'm not sure who does.:/

Yeah, I think I am going to. Meyer is a little bit more expensive anyway, especially with the WH, and they don't have Black Swedish. I got my chickens from them and loved them but I think I will go with a waterfowl expert for ducks lol although I am a little concerned about the journey from California? Meyer is in Ohio and I am in Massachusetts so it took less tome, got here next day in fact. Yeah, I'm not sure who does.

Maybe the best thing to do would be, to just get the other ducks and then later on if you were still interested you could get some Muscovy's.

Yeah, I think I will just do that.

From what I have been told, Muscovy act like a cross between a Chicken/Duck/Goose.........I have never owned any...So only what I have heard.....I love Old style Ducks....Farm Ducks.....Mixed Ducks!....I love all Ducks!!

Cheers!

Wow they sure sound like an interesting combination! Hah

i have 2 blue swedes and 1 indian runner. they have a separate house then the chickens, but they share the same run. so they can use each others coop if they feel like it. which they do sometimes, the chickens will lay in the duck house and the ducks sometimes decide it is a good idea to sleepover with the chickens there doesnt seem to be any apparent reason for either to occur, they just get the urge and there you go. 

They sound wonderful but that is funny they like to share coops

There are a number of hatcheries that sell Muscovy ducklings (and hatching eggs) - I acquired mine locally and hatch my own eggs. While I've never purchased from them, I'm pretty sure I've seen Al's Quackery post here on BYC: http://alsquackery.weebly.com/muscovy-ducks.html. Also, while this thread is oldish, there are other hatcheries discussed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624869/where-to-buy-muscovy-ducks

So far, I've only introduced a Pekin drake to the Muscovy coop (and they just ignored him), but I'll be integrating a Runner and her mixed ducklings soon. I'm not worried about violence ensuing, but (as with any integration), I'll be monitoring the situation to ensure that no one gets hurt. The Runner is pretty small so would probably be squished by a Muscovy drake - about twice her weight - if one attempted to breed with her. 

FYI, Muscovy ducks fly very well, so clipping wings is usually needed, and they have powerful wings and clawed feet...they can be very difficult to hold. I'd probably classify them as a breed for "intermediate" duck keepers.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. And it's good to know they could possibly be housed together.

But wow, maybe I should get other breeds first then and then get them?

Cause I can barely even hold onto my chickens. In fact, I can't really. :lau

I am thinking though now I might finish the new chicken coop first (it's almost done, just needs a few more things), then once they move in, get ducks. But perhaps build the duck pen first before buying ducks so we don't end up with the same situation as the chickens - no coop, buy a temporary junk one, end up living in that for a year while new coop being built, still not finished and not finished for winter lol and I might build a legitimate brooding pen.

Although for the duck coop, I may use pallets or scraps for the frame? Because the chicken coop has already cost a few hundred dollars or more and if I'm going to convince them on ducks, the way to do it is not to literally just spend hundreds on a new chicken coop only to ask to then spend hundreds more on a duck coop lol sooo thinking a free or cheap coop may be the way to go. But not sure if breaking the pallets apart is worth it?

Yeah, I think I am going to. Meyer is a little bit more expensive anyway, especially with the WH, and they don't have Black Swedish. I got my chickens from them and loved them but I think I will go with a waterfowl expert for ducks lol although I am a little concerned about the journey from California? Meyer is in Ohio and I am in Massachusetts so it took less tome, got here next day in fact. Yeah, I'm not sure who does.
Yeah, I think I will just do that.
Wow they sure sound like an interesting combination! Hah
They sound wonderful but that is funny they like to share coops
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. And it's good to know they could possibly be housed together.

But wow, maybe I should get other breeds first then and then get them?

Cause I can barely even hold onto my chickens. In fact, I can't really.
lau.gif
I think that's a good idea! I'm from Minnesota and our second batch did just fine, plus if you do have any DOA's they do a replacement order free. Sounds good! If I were you I would do one thing at a time...
smile.png

I am thinking though now I might finish the new chicken coop first (it's almost done, just needs a few more things), then once they move in, get ducks. But perhaps build the duck pen first before buying ducks so we don't end up with the same situation as the chickens - no coop, buy a temporary junk one, end up living in that for a year while new coop being built, still not finished and not finished for winter lol and I might build a legitimate brooding pen.

Although for the duck coop, I may use pallets or scraps for the frame? Because the chicken coop has already cost a few hundred dollars or more and if I'm going to convince them on ducks, the way to do it is not to literally just spend hundreds on a new chicken coop only to ask to then spend hundreds more on a duck coop lol sooo thinking a free or cheap coop may be the way to go. But not sure if breaking the pallets apart is worth it?
That sound like a good idea!
lol.png

Sorry... I'm not a builder person.

That would be the prudent thing to do...it's no fun with the ducks in the brooder and the clock ticking. Not that I would know. lol

I overbuild everything - we have strong winds and lots of predators where I live, so I built the duck coop like a shed (it could be used as a shed, actually). I have seen some pretty cool coops made from pallets, but I haven't tried it, myself.

I think that's a good idea! I'm from Minnesota and our second batch did just fine, plus if you do have any DOA's they do a replacement order free. Sounds good! If I were you I would do one thing at a time...:)

Wow that's great to know! They sound like a great company and I feel better about ordering now :)

Yeah, good idea.

I'm not sure if I'll get muscovies but definitely will finish one coop first

That sound like a good idea!:lol:

Sorry... I'm not a builder person.

Haha yeah, don't wanna make the same mistake twice lol

And that's okay!

That would be the prudent thing to do...it's no fun with the ducks in the brooder and the clock ticking. Not that I would know. lol

I overbuild everything - we have strong winds and lots of predators where I live, so I built the duck coop like a shed (it could be used as a shed, actually). I have seen some pretty cool coops made from pallets, but I haven't tried it, myself.

Yuppp, already made that mistake once! Lol ordered the chickens in September for a hatchdate of October 26th, sooo over a month to prepare. Did I? NOPE. I was also not expecting them to arrive next day so thought I had a day to prepare but then they were there. Also didn't notice the call till afternoon so the poor things were probably sitting at the post office all morning. And then, like I said, no brooder prepared and it took longer than I thought so the poor things were sitting in the box while I set up the brooder.... then I brought them in the house for 3 weeks anyways...
1f602.png

THEN

they outgrew the garage brooder and we had to quickly buy a coop kit.

They're still in it a year later but the run is big so it's not ideal but it's okay. Thankfully, the new, coop, or the chicken mansion, is almost complete finally.

Yeahhhhh, that is an extreme example and they were/are our first chickens but it's exactly why I do not want to make the same mistake twice and PREPARE this time. No more procrastination. In poultry or elsewhere in life. But we'll start with poultry lol

Yeah, our new coop is rather shed like. We started out following a plan that was inexpensive but we changed it somewhat. Rhey had OSB walls, we used pine sheathing. Still not as thick as plywood but we covered with cement clapboard. And 2x4 framing/studs. And shingled roof. And 2x6 frame for the base with pressure treated plywood floor and scrap linoleum on the floor. Soo yeah, ours could probably be a shed too LOL

4x8 but built on 6x8 frame for the nest boxes and possibly a storage area but for now we're just leaving it open.

It's a tiny bit wobbly and the roof framing is a little too but not too bad and it's fairly stable. Pretty good for our first build haha

We don't have too many predators, mostly just foxes and hawks with the occasional coyote or raccoon. The coyotes mostly eat the rabbits and stay in the front yard. The fox has tried to get in several times as has a raccoon or actually two on two occasions. Had a hawk attack once free ranging. But the run is impenetrable and we have a big dog to warn us, he's what saved them every time.

So I'm hoping there's a way to make it secure without spending too much

Personally, I don't really like runners. First off, they're fast, which means that they're hard to catch. Second off, they have kind of a reputation for being ******** where I live.
I would say get any other duck on the list, they're all great breeds. I have five currently, three hybrids, and two Call ducks. (Never get calls, unless you want to breed them) Two are Blue Swedish/Cayuga, and one is Runner/Blue Swedish. They all share the same mother. The three are really sweet. They respond to my voice, they never leave the pen, one even responds to his name. I let their mother hatch them, then I raised them in my room for two months. I'd say that that's all you have to do for nice ducks. Personality weighs in, but if you're looking for pets, definitely raise them close!
If you're interested, they will be having babies this spring and summer. 1st generation inbred, father is half-siblings with both hens. They're for sale as soon as they hatch!

Last edited:
Thanks! I hadn't even thought of them being fast but that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I won't get runners then

I hadn't even thought of raising them close, I'll definitely have to do that

And thanks, where are you located?

Thanks! I hadn't even thought of them being fast but that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I won't get runners then

I hadn't even thought of raising them close, I'll definitely have to do that

And thanks, where are you located?
Well, being fast isn't really a bad thing with ducks because any wild duck can easily get away from you by just flapping and running, but I haven't had this problem since my runners have been my tamest ducks. I would talk to more people with runners before you decide that, you will find that runners are actually one of the most liked breeds.

Well, being fast isn't really a bad thing with ducks because any wild duck can easily get away from you by just flapping and running, but I haven't had this problem since my runners have been my tamest ducks. I would talk to more people with runners before you decide that, you will find that runners are actually one of the most liked breeds.

Thanks! I guess it really doesn't make any sense to go off one opinion. I think I'll still consider them :) and yeah, i was wondering if they were tame then you wouldn't need to catch them

Back
Top Bottom