What ducks can fly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blackberry18, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm getting ducks for the first time this year, and, being in Poultry Bowl, I already have done quite a bit of research on them. I'm hoping to get either Khaki Campbell or Cayuga breed. According to my Avian Bowl Manual, only bantam ducks (Mallard, East Indie, and Call) and Muscovy can fly. A few can "maybe" fly. The manual lists both Khakis and Cayugas as non-flying breeds, but when I spoke to place I'm going to get them from, they said that Khakis can fly (I didn't ask about Cayugas, though I assume they are too heavy). I even found a video of the Khaki Campbells flying. My book is possibly outdated. Can someone give me the lowdown on the subject?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I have khakis and they can ''fly'' about five feet high MAX for around thirty feet but that is all really They never do it unless I have just let them out in the morning or if they got really scared. We have electronet fencing so they will just fly into it and bounce off if they go near it in the first place.
    They are excellent layers and i recommend them.
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    I have one khaki and he can fly a little like in and out the pool and down the hill but never very far and did i mention very cool breed

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Maxcine99

Maxcine99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2013
    Clinton, MD
    I have Khaki's and yes they can fly, as in fly fly but most of them choose not to, and even when they do they don't fly out of the yard or fly far off. I'm assuming that most of the smaller breeds can fly really well if they wanted to, my mom thought it was just a fluke with ours till a vulture landed in the yard and the ducks took off in the opposite direction. The only one that seems to have a bit of trouble is the drake, but if there's a bit of wind or he jumps on to something high he can get airborne too.

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Purebred, standard khaki campbells should not be able to take full flight. they might get some lift but never able to achieve full flight.

2 people like this.
  6. Maxcine99

Maxcine99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2013
    Clinton, MD
    Mine must not be pure, because they really can fly I saw someone on youtube post their khaki's flying I wonder what they could be mixed with then? Mallard? We got them from the Tractor supply store in maryland

1 person likes this.
  7. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I don't have Khaki's, but my Cayugas definitely cannot fly.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I got mine at TSC too but I have no idea where and how they breed 'em so they might be different strains.Who knows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by