What ducks can fly?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
I'm getting ducks for the first time this year, and, being in Poultry Bowl, I already have done quite a bit of research on them. I'm hoping to get either Khaki Campbell or Cayuga breed. According to my Avian Bowl Manual, only bantam ducks (Mallard, East Indie, and Call) and Muscovy can fly. A few can "maybe" fly. The manual lists both Khakis and Cayugas as non-flying breeds, but when I spoke to place I'm going to get them from, they said that Khakis can fly (I didn't ask about Cayugas, though I assume they are too heavy). I even found a video of the Khaki Campbells flying. My book is possibly outdated. Can someone give me the lowdown on the subject?

Last edited:
I have khakis and they can ''fly'' about five feet high MAX for around thirty feet but that is all really They never do it unless I have just let them out in the morning or if they got really scared. We have electronet fencing so they will just fly into it and bounce off if they go near it in the first place.
They are excellent layers and i recommend them.
Good luck

I have Khaki's and yes they can fly, as in fly fly but most of them choose not to, and even when they do they don't fly out of the yard or fly far off. I'm assuming that most of the smaller breeds can fly really well if they wanted to, my mom thought it was just a fluke with ours till a vulture landed in the yard and the ducks took off in the opposite direction. The only one that seems to have a bit of trouble is the drake, but if there's a bit of wind or he jumps on to something high he can get airborne too.

Back
Top Bottom