What eats JUST the head?

usually raccoons. was thebody pulled right up against the fence, with the head pulled through? that's a raccoon. i'm sorry for the loss of your rooster
hit.gif
hugs.gif

could be coons usually hawks take the whole bird possums are real bad about eating just the heads so either coon,weasel,possum. leaning more toward a possum

Last edited:
So sorry for the loss of your rooster--I'm interested in the comments you get since I had a similar loss this past January. It also happened mid-afternoon. Only her head was missing, w/ lots of feathers strewn around (I'm guessing from the fight?). There were handfuls of black & white fur that smelled of skunk mixed w/ the feathers. Do you think this was weasel (I've read on here that they also have a 'skunk' smell)? I can't imagine a clumsy skunk killing a healthy full-size free-ranging hen or being tough enough to chase off whatever killed her.

A weasel eats the head only. A coon eats different parts and tears up the body. A possum eats the entrails. Your pest is a weasel. They attack when they want to. If you are patient you can leave the body and watch from a distance. You can then shoot the weasel. Any other method is a waste of time or money. This weasel probably lives very close to, or under, your chicken house. He will be back.

I am by no means a predator expert and I don't know where you are but I've heard this year in this area (south western Ontario, Canada - very cold, snowy winter) EVERYTHING is desperate, including the owls. They are hunting during the day and being far more obvious that usual. I know I have a load of desperate hawks around here. They are even taking cats. Nevertheless, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you're able to relax again soon.

Back
Top Bottom