what egg-zactly is the "egg laying song"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by neuchicontheblock, Sep 18, 2009.

1. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I have three new Americanus hens from last week that are not free ranging yet and have a young rooster there with them while the other three birds are out in the yard. This onefemale yacks it up constantly in the evenng before the sun even thinks about going down and the other's are just doing their chicken thing. What gives with this one? BTW...all 3 of the new hens knew each other prior to the move and one of them is laying eggs, though not regularly. I am VERY happy to have these girls...they are pretty and healthy wheatens, and I thank the breeders for being straight with me

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Congrats on your new chickies! I think she is just "settling" down for the night. I have a couple that do that also, once they find where they want to roost and next to who-they settle down and go to sleep! lol

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have never, ever heard this egg song [​IMG] and I get eggs from my girls. Just no singing.....I'm getting ripped off [​IMG]

4. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    My cochin girl likes to make sure the whole neighborhood knows when she's laid an egg! When I got her the folks said they had more chickens than they were allowed in town, so she had to go, but now I think she was just too noisy for the suburbs! She's lucky to live in the country where she can make as much racket as she wants!

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

BAWK BAWK BAWK, BAWKAAAWWWK!!!! then repeat over and over until the entire neighborhood knows that you've either laid an egg, or are thinking about laying an egg, or know someone who's laid an egg.....

6. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    You can go on youtube and search egglaying song. There are a few good ones.

7. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    One of our 4 hens sings a little song at bedtime, and the other hens go up into the coop with her then. It's almost like she's telling them to come to bed.

But it's not the same as the egg song, so well described above.

8. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

this is the egg song , this is what the chicken will do before or after she lays a egg . Most the time its after she lays an egg

9. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one who sings it a little different. Sha always has a "double BAGAAAAAWK".

BAGAAAAAWK BAGAAAAAWK buk buk buk buk buk BAGAAAAAWK BAGAAAAAWK .... etc

By the way they sometimes do it when they have NOT layed an egg too. And sometimes they lay and egg and don't bother with the "birth announcement".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by