What Electric Fence to get for Chicken Tractor (Movable Coop)?

wjmccoy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 1, 2008
I tried searching the posts and couldn't find a direct enough answer. I looked at electric fence controllers at the tractor store, the smallest had a range up to 2 miles and was solar powered. I want a solar powered since it will be moved often, but will one with that range be too much for a 4 x 8 coop? Also, will it really keep everything from digging under it if I have it low to the ground, 6 inches? Can you give me a brand name of ones that you recommend?

Thanks!
Jenny

the 2 mile solar fence box should be fine. no it won't keep a determined pest from digging under it will deter most though.

IM000132.jpg

can't remember the name brand..paid $69 for the solar powered fence...

what you have to remember is that the fence has to be grounded..everytime you move it you have to drive a 'ground stake' into the ground beside it..something you can easily drive in, and pull out

Whether U go solar, battery, or AC the big problem will be the ground rod. What is longest distance U will be moving your coop too? If not too far, I would get a regular AC charger mount it in the dry with 3 ground rods (yes 3) thats what the mfg will suggest and run an extension cord to the coop and only use one wire for the hot side going to your coop wire. Use barb wire! Predators will get a better shock from the barb wire. Ok next is the charger I have used some that never lasted too long, but the one company I like is this link http://www.parmakusa.com/
cool.png

The coop could be out as far as 100 feet, if its cheaper and less of an issue, then I suppose an extension cord would work. I really thought it would be easier, even if a little expensive, to attach a solar controller. So I need the same grounding for either method. How far do you drive these grounding rods into the ground? And 3 of them for a 4 x 8 foot coop?

Maybe we will start with barb-wire first and see how it goes. After reading everything I could get my hands on, the chicken tractor seemed like the best idea for our little coop. But everything I see here seems to indicate that it is nearly impossible to predator-proof!

The two-mile charger was around $119 at Tractor Supply Store.

Thanks!
Jenny

I was saying U need to mount the charger in a dry place, where U have electric. Mount it on a shed, side of the house, back porch whatever, but in a dry place. The life of a charger is the grounding rods! U might get by with 2 but I wouldnt go any less. These are regular grounding rods, like U use for the home 6' or 8' feet long, (not a little steel rod 3-4 feet long) the charger wont last or work properly. After U mount the charger run the hot wire from your charger using a insulated wire (extension cord) to the coop with barb wire around it You will just be using one of the wires in the extension cord to the coop and if u need to move it it will be insulated so it wont shock U. Ive seen those Parmak chargers jump 1/4 in and shock a calf in the nose at nite U could see the blue fire.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom