What else besides feed, water & grit?

ChickenLittle5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
TN
I finally got the chickens moved from the basement to the coop last Friday! They are 11 weeks old. Do I need to give them anything besides starter feed, water and grit? I gave them probiotics & electrolytes over the weekend, because the smallest pullet was limping. (She is better now.) They managed to pour out an entire gallon in the coop the next morning and proceeded to bed down in the wet pine bedding. I guess it felt good in the heat! Do they need probiotics & electrolytes or ACV on a regular basis? Just when they’re sick/injured? When it is REALLY HOT? Anything else I’m forgetting that they need? Since they don’t have access to the yard yet, I pick clover for them as treats & occasionally give dried meal worms. Am I forgetting anything?

Definitely agree with ALWAYS provide fresh plain water, even if you are providing additive water in a separate container. In addition, do not use a metal waterer or container with additives in the water. A metal waterer is ok for plain water.

Keep treats to a minimum. They need their feed nutrition before they need random treats. Clover is a favorite, of course.

Keep them cool and hydrated. Shade access at all times, of course. A pan of ice or ice water is great. I provide wet feed in the afternoon when the run is shadier and the flock thinks wet feed is an AMAZING treat. I sprinkle some seeds on top, sometimes, maybe a bit of fruit, but otherwise it’s just feed and water (including ice on top in the heat) and they gobble it up. So, then they are getting hydrated too.

Elevate the waterer to keep out debris, or hang it Up.

Good luck!

Feed, water, and grit are all they need.

Be sure they have access to plain water with NOTHING added.
If you want to add electrolytes or vinegar or something: that can go in a second waterer, but not in their only source of water.

This. There is a lack of large studies to prove the vinegar does anything to poultry good or bad. Plenty of people use it with what seems like no ill effects so if you want to try it go ahead. Just make sure they have a clean source of water.

I finally got the chickens moved from the basement to the coop last Friday! They are 11 weeks old. Do I need to give them anything besides starter feed, water and grit? I gave them probiotics & electrolytes over the weekend, because the smallest pullet was limping. (She is better now.) They managed to pour out an entire gallon in the coop the next morning and proceeded to bed down in the wet pine bedding. I guess it felt good in the heat! Do they need probiotics & electrolytes or ACV on a regular basis? Just when they’re sick/injured? When it is REALLY HOT? Anything else I’m forgetting that they need? Since they don’t have access to the yard yet, I pick clover for them as treats & occasionally give dried meal worms. Am I forgetting anything?
You are doing a great job! You can also give them other treats based on your budget, time, and want to but just keep the grit available. When they start laying be sure to make oyster shell available. Also in a separate dish. Hens need it and roosters don’t but they know not to eat it. This is usually about 18-20 weeks. 24 weeks for a breed like Orpingtons. I have some of those and they like to eat whatever including my fingers and rings! Lol! There is a thread and articles available on BYC on treats. You might want to check it out for more info. Yours are two weeks ahead of mine and mine are also in my basement staying cool from Mississippi heat and awaiting the final touches on Coop and run construction. It will be completed this weekend hopefully! Woohoo! Yeehaw! Good luck to you and your flock!

Definitely agree with ALWAYS provide fresh plain water, even if you are providing additive water in a separate container. In addition, do not use a metal waterer or container with additives in the water. A metal waterer is ok for plain water.

Keep treats to a minimum. They need their feed nutrition before they need random treats. Clover is a favorite, of course.

Keep them cool and hydrated. Shade access at all times, of course. A pan of ice or ice water is great. I provide wet feed in the afternoon when the run is shadier and the flock thinks wet feed is an AMAZING treat. I sprinkle some seeds on top, sometimes, maybe a bit of fruit, but otherwise it’s just feed and water (including ice on top in the heat) and they gobble it up. So, then they are getting hydrated too.

Elevate the waterer to keep out debris, or hang it Up.

Good luck!
Yes, the treats are at a minimum. I have 26 chicks, so they probably only get 1 piece of clover each a couple times/day. I give it to them to help keep them tame; not as a source of nutrition.

I use a nipple system for water. I had electrolytes separate in one of those plastic waterers from TSC. I had it hung up a few inches above the bedding, but they managed to swing it and dumped everything. At least it was on the temporary pine bedding and not the $$$ hemp. I’m saving the hemp until construction is 100% complete with window coverings where needed! I definitely don’t want to replace it more than necessary!

So what is the difference in "grit" and oyster shell?? And at what age should I give both? My babies are 9 weeks old now.

Grit is crushed granite. Works like teeth to help grind up food. Oyster shell is just that - oyster shell that is ground up to smaller pieces to provide calcium, however, it dissolves and does not act like teeth to help grind up food.

If your chickens only eat feed, then grit not needed (for example meat chickens that only live for a short period of time, and live in a smaller enclosure). However, most chickens are eating bugs, grass, whole grains due to feed type or free range in some manner, so grit is needed. Some people do not provide grit bc there are enough naturally occurring small rock bits in their environment.

We provide a pan of purchased grit and oyster shell. We provide OS because we feed an all-flock feed, instead of a layer feed, so they need to have access to additional calcium.

So what is the difference in "grit" and oyster shell?? And at what age should I give both? My babies are 9 weeks old now.

Grit: provide from a very early age. It is small rocks to help grind the food in their gizzard.

Oyster shell: only needed by hens who are actually laying, because it's to provide calcium.

For both of them: do not mix into the food. Do not mix with each other. Put each in a dish or feeder of its own, so it's easy for the chickens to get the one they need.

Back
Top Bottom