What else can I do to make sure my hen survives...

YDSD

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Sadly on Saturday at about 3:30am we woke up to cries of help from our hens because a raccoon had gotten into the coop. When we got out there we found one of our girls on the ground still alive but hurt, looks like it was trying to bite her head off :`(

So for the last two plus days we've had her inside the house, we've been putting neosporin on her eyes which were hurt and I think the beast squeezed her crop enough for her to regurgitate fluids which became hard and crusted. She's been having difficulty breathing so we have been trying to soften up the crusty stuff to remove it. She also isn't eating or drinking so we have been trying to give her a little bit of fluids with an oral syringe. Of course all of this is torture to her, I don't want her to die though. Today I noticed that her crop is hard so we are going to try to give her a bit of olive oil and she is now acting like she is egg bound which is not surprising, I just hope the egg didn't break.

So to recap, we've been putting neosporin on her eyes because they were injured, we've been softening up and removing the clumps of crust in her beak, we're going to give her olive oil to help with the bound crop, I have a heat lamp and a soaked hot clock for moist heat on her, what else can I try?

If anybody has any suggestions for me on how to care for my poor girl please let me know.

She still standings and walks around a bit and moves hear head around when she hears me speak to her.

Thanks for the good thoughts, unfortunately my little Lorenzo took a turn for the worse and I didn't want her to suffer anymore. I took her to the vet and they put her to sleep for me. I have her here right now, tonight my husband and I will pick a nice spot in our garden to bury her. She was such a good girl.

Back
Top Bottom