What else can i put in my run....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nuttyredhead, Jul 29, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have 11 girls and 1 roo (15 week old Amberlinks). The run is dirt, when they first got put in it they were content to scratch around forever..now i find them in there coop more often scratching around. other than the grass clippings what else can i put in there for them to scratch in?? I dont want bored chickens!!!

THanks!

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    leaf piles. hay, sand

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    vegetable scraps. throw a bit of mealworms or scratch over the otehr things as well, because those tasty tidbits will fall through the cracks and teh birds will go crazy looking for them

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I can't remember where I read this, but it made sense to me. If you feed your chickens crumbles rather than pellets, it takes them longer to eat their fill picking through the pieces and thus occupies their time more. Let's face it: eating is a chicken's primary pastime.

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i pile of sand or a sand box would be good for dust baths. i also throw in fruit coars for them to eat

6. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I put a few old logs, some firewood length logs in a pile and a roost in the outside run. Not real exciting but they do like to get a little highter than the next girl.

7. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Turn over the soil in their run, this brings all sorts of interesting items up (seeds, insects etc,) also lay down some planks- turn them over every week or so the expose grubs and snails.this should give your girls something to do outside of their coop.

8. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I use to leave a few scrap boards in the run floor so that after a few days I could turn them over and they could feast on the buggies that were underneath. We had a massive problem with grubs and those are yummy treats for chickens. Boards are a great way to get the grubs to surface and stay so you can collect them.

9. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

perches

10. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I'm constantly throwing everything I can find in the run for the girls. They get all the weeds I pick from the garden and flower beds, all the over ripe veggies and too big stuff out of the garden, clippings from the grass being mowed, and then all the old plants from the garden will be given to them also. They always have plenty to dig around in to keep them busy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by