What else makes a noise like a chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rcentner, Sep 21, 2011.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    This has been on my mind and I thought you folks might have an answer.

A couple weeks ago there was an owl hooting in front of my house. I have never heard an owl here, which seems odd since I live in the woods. Anyhow, the owl was hooting and I heard what sounded like a chicken clucking on the ground. I was reminded of this when one of my orpingtons was clucking this evening cause it couldn't get into the coop (just because it was too dark in there, dumb girl).
    I heard the owl crash down and I no longer heard the chicken noise. So whatever it was, it was definately killed by that owl.
    I am bothered by this..a poor chicken all alone in the woods. And if it was a chicken where did it come from? None of my neighbors have chickens. I did lose 8 chickens to a fox in march of 2010, could it have been one of them..ya right..survive winter, survive fox, coyote and hawks..i doubt it.

so my question is...are there any other animals that make that clucking noise? Kinda like the hen part of the egg song. but it sounded like a frightened chicken. I did not have a chance to see if there were any feathers until many days later and since it was dark I don't really know where it may have been, except close.
    I know, seems dumb to keep wondering and thinking about it... [​IMG]

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Me! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

A peafowl. and some female turkeys.[​IMG]

4. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:we do have turkeys that I frequently see right where the noise was coming from...would an owl eat a turkey?

5. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Yes my grandma always told me stories of having turkeys. The owls would grab them by the neck and pull but they were to heavy and there heads always fell off.[​IMG]

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    If the turkey was young and the owl was giant then maybe but it still couldn't carry it off so it probable at it on the ground and a coon finished it.

7. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Could have been a young wild Turkey

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Hey, I know what you are talking about. Sounded like a chicken in destress, right? I've gone out at night several times looking for that poor chicken. I finally figured out it's actually an owl that makes that noise.

9. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:my DH was ticked that I went out looking for the distressed chicken in the middle of the night with no rifle...I guess he is right, but my chicken mama instincts were to strong to resist. I wondered if the owl was doing it, maybe communicating with another owl.
    Thanks all for the input, I am glad that it was not likely a chicken. Next time, if I ever hear it again, I will bring out the rifle so my DH wont be so mad.

10. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    I don't know what you heard in the woods, but yesterday evening I was sitting on a bench outside my daughter's school waiting for her to finish choir practice. I kept hearing a chicken on the roof! lol

Now, I knew there was no chicken on the roof of the school, but I listen to my chickens outside my kitchen window all day along, and this sounded just like a chicken!

Near the end of choir practice the birds up there got into a fuss and I found out what they were. Doves or pigeons. Did not get a good look at them. Could have been either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by