What exactly does a detached air cell look like?

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
Never seen this before and want to make sure I know what I'm looking at. Received a box of eggs this morning that the USPS worked over a bit in transit so I want to be prepared, of the 22 that made it in one piece I think I have 2 or 3. I think. I've read somewhere on here that sometimes this can resolve and still hatch a normal chick, did I read that right? Letting them sit a full 24 hours before setting to see if everything settles down.
Packaging was awesome but things happen, I'm not blaming the seller at all. After several years in the package designing industry I've pretty much figured out what happened to that poor box, I enjoyed the challenge of figuring it out but I'm sure the eggs didn't.

No? Ok, I am going to assume it looks like the bubble in a level when it's turned. Lets hope I'm right
hide.gif

The air cell should be a bubble at the large end of the egg.

If the membrane is intact, then it doesn't move inside the egg. If that membrane gets broken in shipping, then a bubble of air is loose and rolls around inside the egg when you tilt it.

I have also seen air cells that were too big or had an odd shape after rough handling.

It's not an ideal way to receive an egg, but some people get them to hatch.

Yes that is what it looks like and that is a great description of it too! They can hatch and I have read on here that it is best to incubate them standing up in egg cartons.

Renee

When you candle an egg before it goes into the incubator, nothing should move when rolled slightly toward you. With a broken air cell you will see "water" move into the air cell, sometimes tiny little air bubbles, and even worse is when they are completely scrambled where every thing beneath the cell is much darker and one solid color.

KD just had to tell you that my husband just retired after 22 years in packaging design. He started the job when he was 18. Worked for the same company his entire career.

He'd still be doing it if the MS hadn't forced him to retire, he definitely loves the job and the challenge of figuring things out.

Laney

Quote:
That is exactly what I have on one egg that will be going into lockdown soon (Sunday). I'd been wondering what was going on.

It doesn't really look like vyshtia's photo, though. More like a curtain that is partially pulled down and a bit of liquid like you said. The chick has been visibly moving right through and appears to be alive, but the air cell has looked horrible. I am hatching this group in a paper egg tray, so I will just carefully put him into the tray and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom