What exactly is a Calico Silkie?

Quote:
I have a gray with red leakage and was told to call it tortoiseshell
I've seen other pics of birds with coloring similar to him and they were calling it calico...
What do you breed him to if you don't have any grays?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/32462_chickens_057.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/32462_chickens_047.jpg
He's for sale too...btw
big_smile.png

I'm a huge fan of those that are different, unfortunately those that are into silkies for the $$$ aren't. Which means not many people want to buy eggs from the different looking ones. They are looking for perfection. So i'm working on improving my flock to have those colors people are looking for but I will still have my oddballs. My sizzle pen is full of oddballs. My favorite roo looks alot like your guy you have for sale but he doesn't have the gold leackage. He's black with thewhite or grey on his head down to his shoulders. He is a real sweetie too. He has produced some beautiful babies and many turned out looking just like him.

That's a little offensive. I can tell you I haven't made money on my birds by a LONG shot, but I don't want to keep off colors. I breed to the standard, not for $$$, as you put it, but because I want to preserve the breed and the colors as they are, working towards an ideal. I also enjoy showing, which, as anyone can tell you, is not a money making proposition.

smile.png

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of those that are different, unfortunately those that are into silkies for the $$$ aren't. Which means not many people want to buy eggs from the different looking ones. They are looking for perfection. So i'm working on improving my flock to have those colors people are looking for but I will still have my oddballs. My sizzle pen is full of oddballs. My favorite roo looks alot like your guy you have for sale but he doesn't have the gold leackage. He's black with thewhite or grey on his head down to his shoulders. He is a real sweetie too. He has produced some beautiful babies and many turned out looking just like him.

That's a little offensive. I can tell you I haven't made money on my birds by a LONG shot, but I don't want to keep off colors. I breed to the standard, not for $$$, as you put it, but because I want to preserve the breed and the colors as they are, working towards an ideal. I also enjoy showing, which, as anyone can tell you, is not a money making proposition.

smile.png

Very well spoken
clap.gif

Sorry to those that I offended. I did not mean it to sound offensive. Unfortunatley it's nearly impossible to NOT offfend somebody these days. I will delete my post and unsubscribe from this thread.

Can anyone tell me what color this rooster is? I thought he was blue and today i noticed all these red feathers popping up in random places? Weird, never seen this combo....He's a feed store baby so...umm..i guess theres no telling LOL
gig.gif

88573_2011-05-04_172108.jpg

88573_2011-05-04_172001.jpg

88573_2011-05-04_172038.jpg

the red feathers are popping up on his head, neck and wings. lol...he looks big...but those are my 5 yr olds hands...covered in mud pie
wink.png

Quote:
No worries!!! I read over your original post and found nothing offensive about it!
wink.png
lol Anyhow, here's a pic of my calico boy:

birds09089.jpg

birds09091.jpg

Quote:
He sounds lovely. Pity he can't come here to live.

I have a splash roo showing red on his wings, I'll have to take a pic of him to post. It wasn't obvious when he was younger but you can see it now.

M@M@2four your roo is very pretty!

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought so as well. So Im guessing calico is just an off color?

Either way I like it...its kinda unique. Im having to rehome him though.....we though he was a hen.....just a late bloomer.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom