What exactly is a Mahogany Red?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sellersgang, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sellersgang

sellersgang Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    Hubby bought 2 "mahogany red" chickens that he was told were rare ones that would lay a dark red egg. He paid a good bit for these 2 and I cant seem to find out exactly what there are.. any ideas?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Do you have a picture? Lotsa ppl on this board who could help identify by actually seeing them [​IMG]

3. sellersgang

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    Will try to get a pic today [​IMG]

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    wow, sounds interesting....do keep us posted!
    ~Rebecca

5. sellersgang

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    Ok.. this just in from the man the chickens were purchased from.. I think we have some "special" girls.. lol

"A lot of people have what I call "Backyard" Rhode Island Reds, however they have been inbred so must that over the last 125 years they have lost their original color. Most are a pale Red and they get paler and paler in feather color each year. Some people even crossed New Hampshire Reds into their flock of Rhode Island Reds producing what is called Production Reds. These people and 99.9% of all the people in the United States do not have the OLD HOMESTEAD TYPE Rhode Island Reds, that were in the United States before the Civil War.
    The Mahogany Reds are TRUE "Rhode Island Reds" with NO crosses and they are very hard to find and when they are found by someone they cost "AN ARM AND A LEG"
    I am sure noone in your part of the world has any Rhode Island Reds that are as deep a RED as the ones your husband got from me..............THEY ARE SHOW QUALITY...........................THEY ARE NOT BACKYARD CHICKENS................They are PUREBRED.............They are "SO" pure that they should have Papers on them."

6. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Thats cool, so pretty much he is saying that your reds aren"t the "average" hatchery rhode island red? I'd love to see pictures of them, they sound beautiful!

7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I wonder if he sells hatching eggs [​IMG]. Could you find out and then let me know, please.

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I don't doubt that the guy might have some very red chickens, but just the way he's hawking them makes me think he's selling something not so pure as he's saying. Just a feeling I have...[​IMG]

9. sellersgang

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    As soon as Gustav decides to quit raining on us, I'll get some pics of them and put on here. Its been raining the whole week here.. I know the girls are sick of it too.

I will inquire about the hatching eggs for you and let you know asap.

This man is an up and up guy who seems to know his stuff and takes very good care of all his chickens. I trust him [​IMG]

10. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    They are probably show quality RIR which are very different from hatchery quality.

He does seem a bit boastful about them! [​IMG]

There are several people on here with them, in fact one of them is fairly close to you in Alabama, BamaChicken.

Check out her site:

http://www.smallacrespoultry.com/reds.htm

Is that what your new birds look like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by