What exactly is a Mahogany Red?

sellersgang

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Hubby bought 2 "mahogany red" chickens that he was told were rare ones that would lay a dark red egg. He paid a good bit for these 2 and I cant seem to find out exactly what there are.. any ideas?

Do you have a picture? Lotsa ppl on this board who could help identify by actually seeing them
smile.png

Ok.. this just in from the man the chickens were purchased from.. I think we have some "special" girls.. lol

"A lot of people have what I call "Backyard" Rhode Island Reds, however they have been inbred so must that over the last 125 years they have lost their original color. Most are a pale Red and they get paler and paler in feather color each year. Some people even crossed New Hampshire Reds into their flock of Rhode Island Reds producing what is called Production Reds. These people and 99.9% of all the people in the United States do not have the OLD HOMESTEAD TYPE Rhode Island Reds, that were in the United States before the Civil War.
The Mahogany Reds are TRUE "Rhode Island Reds" with NO crosses and they are very hard to find and when they are found by someone they cost "AN ARM AND A LEG"
I am sure noone in your part of the world has any Rhode Island Reds that are as deep a RED as the ones your husband got from me..............THEY ARE SHOW QUALITY...........................THEY ARE NOT BACKYARD CHICKENS................They are PUREBRED.............They are "SO" pure that they should have Papers on them."

I don't doubt that the guy might have some very red chickens, but just the way he's hawking them makes me think he's selling something not so pure as he's saying. Just a feeling I have...
idunno.gif

As soon as Gustav decides to quit raining on us, I'll get some pics of them and put on here. Its been raining the whole week here.. I know the girls are sick of it too.

I will inquire about the hatching eggs for you and let you know asap.

This man is an up and up guy who seems to know his stuff and takes very good care of all his chickens. I trust him
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom