What eye disease is this?Hi

Abigrayl

Songster
May 2, 2020
Hi, my young pullet, probably about 6 weeks old, has something wrong with her eye this morning. Please help me identify it. Her brother died mysteriously 2 nights ago but his eyes were fine. I’m hoping it’s unrelated. Once I know what it is then I can try find out how to treat it.

Attachments

• 6C7E1D3C-4C78-43AF-B531-C993AB11BEF7.jpeg
    6C7E1D3C-4C78-43AF-B531-C993AB11BEF7.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 5A92F1B0-F72E-4E4F-A581-A8B7D377F7C6.jpeg
    5A92F1B0-F72E-4E4F-A581-A8B7D377F7C6.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 5
  • 21A07927-DC6B-4147-9690-952FD886399A.jpeg
    21A07927-DC6B-4147-9690-952FD886399A.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 57DE310C-F831-4053-B894-4804A761629E.jpeg
    57DE310C-F831-4053-B894-4804A761629E.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 9
Once the pus is removed the eye waters up very quickly. And she seems to have labored breathing through her mouth. There is nothing by her nose. Or maybe I’m just paranoid.

She has Coryza. I wonder if that’s how her brother died. He had a runny nose from the day I got him.

I went to the chicken feed shop and the guy there says he’s seen it before and it’s that. And I took her for a second opinion to a farmer and he said it’s “Pip” which is the same thing. The eye has now become sort of foamy with bubbles. I got her anti-biotics and I’m going to keep her isolated and keep her warm at night. We phoned the vet and he also said I could try give her vitamins. And I also want to look into some probiotics. The other 2 are also on antibiotics now in case they have it.

Hi, my young pullet, probably about 6 weeks old, has something wrong with her eye this morning. Please help me identify it. Her brother died mysteriously 2 nights ago but his eyes were fine. I’m hoping it’s unrelated. Once I know what it is then I can try find out how to treat it.
Once the pus is removed the eye waters up very quickly. And she seems to have labored breathing through her mouth. There is nothing by her nose. Or maybe I’m just paranoid.
She has Coryza. I wonder if that’s how her brother died. He had a runny nose from the day I got him.
I went to the chicken feed shop and the guy there says he’s seen it before and it’s that. And I took her for a second opinion to a farmer and he said it’s “Pip” which is the same thing. The eye has now become sort of foamy with bubbles. I got her anti-biotics and I’m going to keep her isolated and keep her warm at night. We phoned the vet and he also said I could try give her vitamins. And I also want to look into some probiotics. The other 2 are also on antibiotics now in case they have it.
Welcome To BYC

Where do you live?

What antibiotic were you able to get for treatment? (if you are not in the US, can you post photos of the medication label)
Is there a bad odor?
Any pus or lesions on the inside of the beak?

It could be Infectious Coryza with the pus and facial swelling - is there a bad smell? It could also be one of a few other respiratory diseases that chickens can have. Bubbles in the eyes could be Mycoplasma.
I would try to keep the eye cleaned out of pus and bubbles - flush it out and push out the pus a couple of times a day. Any eye ointment in the eye would be good to use if you have it or you can use plain triple antibiotic ointment.
Do what you can to keep her drinking.
Respiratory diseases make birds carriers, so do some reading up on that. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you for your response @Wyro
Welcome To BYC

Where do you live?

What antibiotic were you able to get for treatment? (if you are not in the US, can you post photos of the medication label)
Is there a bad odor?
Any pus or lesions on the inside of the beak?

It could be Infectious Coryza with the pus and facial swelling - is there a bad smell? It could also be one of a few other respiratory diseases that chickens can have. Bubbles in the eyes could be Mycoplasma.
I would try to keep the eye cleaned out of pus and bubbles - flush it out and push out the pus a couple of times a day. Any eye ointment in the eye would be good to use if you have it or you can use plain triple antibiotic ointment.
Do what you can to keep her drinking.
Respiratory diseases make birds carriers, so do some reading up on that. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you for your response.
I live in Gauteng, South Africa.
Oxytetracycline HCI is the antibiotic.
The inside of her beak has no abnormalities like pus or legions. But the tip of her tongue is really really green - is that a symptom?
She smells bad but I’m not sure it’s coming from her face.
What do you think it is?

Thank you for your response @Wyro

Thank you for your response.
I live in Gauteng, South Africa.
Oxytetracycline HCI is the antibiotic.
The inside of her beak has no abnormalities like pus or legions. But the tip of her tongue is really really green - is that a symptom?
She smells bad but I’m not sure it’s coming from her face.
What do you think it is?
I have no idea about the tip of the tongue being green. Can you get a photo of that? It would be interesting to see.

Since you are in S. Africa and one of the farmers mentioned this is "Pip" (Coryza?) then I would go with their experience and recommendation for treatment.
Oxytretracycline may help with infection due to Coryza. Did they recommend any other antibiotic to accompany the Oxy?

I have no idea about the tip of the tongue being green. Can you get a photo of that? It would be interesting to see.

Since you are in S. Africa and one of the farmers mentioned this is "Pip" (Coryza?) then I would go with their experience and recommendation for treatment.
Oxytretracycline may help with infection due to Coryza. Did they recommend any other antibiotic to accompany the Oxy?
They recommended something called Cornish crystals but that was more of an alternative than an “in addition to” and then just said I should get them some “vitamins”. I have attached a picture of her green tongue. Maybe it’s a combination of the yellow medicine and purple cabbage (her favorite vegetable).

Attachments

• 6A819FC1-ED17-42BE-BD11-29E7A4E39AC0.jpeg
    6A819FC1-ED17-42BE-BD11-29E7A4E39AC0.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 6
They recommended something called Cornish crystals but that was more of an alternative than an “in addition to” and then just said I should get them some “vitamins”. I have attached a picture of her green tongue. Maybe it’s a combination of the yellow medicine and purple cabbage (her favorite vegetable).
I don't know what the Cornish Crystals would be - that's interesting. If the farmer has seen this before and has successfully treated birds, then I would follow his recommendation.

I agree with you, I think the color of the tongue is purple cabbage stains:)
Thank you for the photo!

Back
Top Bottom