What feather pattern is this?

Flock Leader

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Israel

I have two pullets with this leopard-style feather pattern (seen more clearly in this one over here - she's a shy bird but I managed to get a close-up!). They aren't a recognized breed; in Israel this is one of the types of chicken normally known as "Baladi", which means "village" - they are the most common local backyard chicken type. Anyway, I think this feather pattern is really pretty, and thought to look up what it's called, but no matter how long I browsed chicken colors/patterns lists, I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what it's called?

I'm new to chickens, but she looks very much like a Golden Campine to me (the legs, feather structure, pattern, and the neck). She's at least some sort of Golden Campine cross with the Campine appearance being very dominant.

My first thought was a Braekel (and those are not recognized in the USA). Campines are closely related to the Braekels though..but the Golden Campines ARE recognized. =)

She seems to small to be a Braekel - they are larger and the coloring just isn't the same. o.o

I still think she's a Golden Campine so that gets my vote.

Either way congratulations - very nice. Please continue to post pictures of her as she grows?? I have a feeling she's going to be even prettier as she grows.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Never heard of those two chicken breeds you mentioned. Yes, the pattern does look like a Golden Campine, though not exactly the same - and of course she's not a pure-breed chicken, but I think it will still be worthwhile to try and get chicks from her in spring.

Thanks, I think double laced is the closest thing, although not precisely it! These hens are really special, I'm so excited. I also have two roosters from the same brood, I thought of giving them away but now I think I'll keep them and try to breed more such chickens. I love this pattern. I should also add that this type of chicken (I'm not saying "breed", because like I said it isn't a recognized breed) aren't superb layers, but are very hardy - they'd have to be, because in Arab villages chickens don't get any special treatment, vaccinations or vets, and the weak ones are simply weeded out. Mine lay medium-sized cream-colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom