What Feed do you use and Where do you get it?

Yea I believe it is molasses and animals love it. I would like to fatten my chickens up lol too. I just love to see big fat chickens strutin around. Always makes me think they are happy and healthy. I don't know though , can a chicken get too fat?

Purina Scratch Grains not the pellets the ladies don't seem to like the pellets at all, mixed with a little Purina Layena. I buy it at the Do It Best Hardware store they have 25lb bags $8.00 and 50lb bags & $12.00. I have Road Island Reds and they are very big girls! I also give them some treats from time to time they LOVE watermelon, grapes, crushed up crackers.

Quote:
Sweet feed is a mix of grains (oats, corn, misc others) that gets completed doused in molasses. I don't know if it's liquid molasses or powdered, but either way the horses don't care.
smile.png
The oats are whole and quickly take root if they get spilled on the ground by an eager eater -- which produces a tasty patch of grass for whomever comes along later. It's available in different formulations for different needs -- 10% for your average pasture ornament/pleasure horse, 12% for a horse that gets worked regularly, 14% for a horse in serious training or being used for breeding. Chickens love sweet feed and aren't particular whether they get it first or if they have to wait for it to come out the back end.
yippiechickie.gif

As far as what I feed my chickens... Since I no longer give the horses any grain, the flock has to rely on Countryside Natural layer mash with 5# fish meal added per 50# bag, a daily offering of scratch grains (the CN scratch has a wide variety of grains, not just cracked corn & oats), and whatever goodies they find while foraging.

Back
Top Bottom