What feeder?

Quote:
Yes, that's fine. All the animals on our place have free-choice access to hay all winter long. On the fowl side of things that includes chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys.

Quote:
Hay fields.
tongue.png
lol.png

Seriously, though, we use a lot of hay so I buy all of ours in large rounds from our hay farmer -- what I use is about 75/25 grass/alfalfa. If you can find a hay farmer in your area to buy bales from directly that is very much preferable to buying it at a feed store. To find farmers check craigslist, feed store bulletins, local stock auction houses, etc. If you can't find one a feed store is another option. Depending on how familiar you are with hay -- specifically judging quality -- you can also seek out a hay auction and buy there. If you don't know how to judge quality I wouldn't recommend that though as it's easy to end up with junk hay that will go 99.9% to waste. They will waste some of any hay, even the best, but lower quality will result in more waste overall.

Quote:
Yes, that's fine. All the animals on our place have free-choice access to hay all winter long. On the fowl side of things that includes chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys.

Quote:
Hay fields.
tongue.png
lol.png

Seriously, though, we use a lot of hay so I buy all of ours in large rounds from our hay farmer -- what I use is about 75/25 grass/alfalfa. If you can find a hay farmer in your area to buy bales from directly that is very much preferable to buying it at a feed store. To find farmers check craigslist, feed store bulletins, local stock auction houses, etc. If you can't find one a feed store is another option. Depending on how familiar you are with hay -- specifically judging quality -- you can also seek out a hay auction and buy there. If you don't know how to judge quality I wouldn't recommend that though as it's easy to end up with junk hay that will go 99.9% to waste. They will waste some of any hay, even the best, but lower quality will result in more waste overall.

LOL... Ok, so the hay I use for bedding is what you are talking about? I know my turkeys eat some of it whenever I refresh and the chickens love to scratch through it and eat the seeds. The ducks love to "rummage" through it and seem so excited when i put fresh hay in the hut and run. The geese I have not noticed much of a reaction from...as for what "type" of hay, I'm sorry to say I am naive to what it is....I will ask the farmer I get it from and risk looking even more foolish
tongue.png

I posted this question on another thread and Im curious as to what you all do. As far as pelleted feed goes, how much do you all give? I mean if you could measure it out in cups how much do you think it would be? Or do you keep an auto feeder full and let them eat as much as they want? Just so you know, mine are all under five months old and three are Dewlaps that need to grow a LOT in their first year.

Thanks for the info on feeding hay. I had never heard that before so Im going to see how that goes over with mine too. Good thread guys!

Blessings!
wee.gif

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom