What feeder?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NYRIR, Aug 25, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    My geese waste a lot of food. Is there any feeder that works better for them? Right now they have rubber bowls.They get into the chicken feeders from the bottom and top and make a huge mess. Any suggestions?

2. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I have four geese and use one of those black rubber fortiflex low tubs. I never have any food wasted.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    The rubber fortiflex tub looks really nice!

I have only one goose, and I use a 2-quart mixing jug like this one (without the small lid):
    [​IMG]
    Food is not wasted, but he still manages to be messy.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:I agree with Miss Lydia, I think those would work really well..

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thank you for responding. I was wondering about the goat trough feeders...I think I will try one of those! Or maybe 2...

The Goose Girl.... I appreciate your response... but I (alas) have too many geese to use one of those [​IMG] I would need at least 7, lol [​IMG]

PinkGlory123... I use the medium to large size rubber bowls but they make a HUGE mess! ( The chickens help with it too)

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have 3 of those feeders and I feed 24 chickens, 9 muscovy ducks and 1 goose. to kinda give you an idea. that way the ducks and goose get to eat and not have to wait on the chickens to get through first. They are easy to clean and I promise the waste is nothing at all. I started keeping their water buckets further away from their feeders too so they don't get the feed as wet either.

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We use troughs. Large diameter PVC cut in half lengthwise, laid on the ground. Ours are cut to 10 foot lengths. Works like a charm because they can line up along them and not have to jockey for position.

In the summer the geese don't really get fed though. They're job is to mow and weed, plenty of it around here to keep them full. [​IMG]

9. Nicophorus

Nicophorus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Central Florida
    I'd love my geese to eat the grass more but... how to keep them out of the chicken food?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My goose,ducks and chickens all eat the same feed. P Flock raiser. They do free range but they have acsess to feed all day too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by