what feeders/waterers do YOU use in your coop...looking for suggestions

krowl

Songster
Feb 23, 2017
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Curious what everyone else uses to provide water and feed to their flocks in their runs...I feel I need to look at other solutions/options...

For water right now, I provide fresh water in a container that attaches to the side of my run, it's open at the top, not the best way to maintain clean water, i know :( , they seem to like it, but sometimes they dump it over and the water also gets really dirty really quick...

For feed, I am using your basic chicken feeder, and i hate it. It gets gross if any moisture or rain gets in it, how does everyone prevent this, but also ensure that the flocks have access to food at all times...

Mostly just curious what everyone else is using for feeders and waterers :pop

We live in a very dry climate so...there's that.

I use the 30# metal feeders kept inside the coop.
Water is in the run in open top one gallon water dishes in the run.

I change the water every morning. To me it ensures they have fresh water. A quick sponge out and refill isn't hard with the open dishes.
Once a week I do a scrub and heavy rinse on the water dishes with dish soap. The daily wipe ours are no soap so very fast.

I use the old fashioned feeder. It holds about 25 pounds of feed. My run is covered so no rain gets into it. Has worked well for years. There is a no waste feeder I might try next year. It is made from a tote and PVC elbows.

For a waterer I use an 11 gallon clear plastic tote with lid and horizontal nipples. Many others around here use a similar system with other types of containers. A hole in the back of the tote keeps a vacuum from happening and is a place to put the electric cord for winter. The tote is sitting on an old ottoman from a chair to get it raised up to a proper height. In winter a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic is added to the tote to keep the water from freezing. Water stays clean as it is in the closed tote. Not sure where you are from but this works really great for winter. Has gotten down to -22 F here and the water has not froze.

I use the old fashioned feeder. It holds about 25 pounds of feed. My run is covered so no rain gets into it. Has worked well for years. There is a no waste feeder I might try next year. It is made from a tote and PVC elbows.

For a waterer I use an 11 gallon clear plastic tote with lid and horizontal nipples. Many others around here use a similar system with other types of containers. A hole in the back of the tote keeps a vacuum from happening and is a place to put the electric cord for winter. The tote is sitting on an old ottoman from a chair to get it raised up to a proper height. In winter a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic is added to the tote to keep the water from freezing. Water stays clean as it is in the closed tote. Not sure where you are from but this works really great for winter. Has gotten down to -22 F here and the water has not froze.
I also was looking at those no waste feeders...semi considering that as I liked the setup and how it took up less space in the run...

E1A2A9BB-6CC2-4117-A3EE-6E470496BEB1.jpeg
A2D2B086-EB09-4A38-9DE9-DD4FFCC22120.jpeg

I use no waste feeders made with 7 gallon buckets. One in the coop and one in the run. My run is covered.
For water, I have this 14 gallon drum from amazon with horizontal nipples. The base of the drum is the same size as a five gallon bucket. I have a 5 gallon waterer inside the coop with nipples also. I use a deicer to keep the water and nipples from freezing in the winter. Below is a link for my heated bucket, if you need to keep water from freezing. I refill my feeders and waterers once a week, for my 25 mixed age flock.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

14 Gallon Waterer  and No Waste Feeder.jpg

5 gallon bucket with the deicer inside
heateded waterer 2.jpg

I started (9 years ago!) with the standard hanging plastic hanging feeders (red trays), then went to the pedal ("treadle") feeders. The squirrels and rabbits learned to use the pedal feeders before my chickens did.

I went back to the plastic hanging feeders, primarily because of all the ants that appear in spring/summer. Anything that has contact with the ground will become 'ant property' around here!

I'd like to be able to use the bucket feeders with the PVC feed ports, but even sitting on a cinder block, I know the ants will invade :(

For water I use rubber livestock bowls set on blocks or of all things old lawn mower tires make a perfect base for the bowls LOL You can find bowls at TSC or online.

For feed, I use hanging feed cups, these are taken up and brought inside every night. Easy to clean and extras can be stacked and stored in a small space.
I made "holders" out of spare shelving I had, I cut it to length and attached to a board with metal fasteners. Cups can be hung at different heights if necessary.

(water is green because of vitamin/electrolyte mix)
upload_2019-9-2_14-38-38.png

upload_2019-9-2_14-39-54.png

upload_2019-9-2_14-39-39.png

Back
Top Bottom