What food should I use?

KatieG509

Songster
7 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Westminster, Colorado
Hello! I just added 4 new chicks to our flock. They’ve been in an old dog kennel in our run for the last week to let the other chickens get used to them, and we’re planning on letting them out today. Since they’ve been separated from the adults in the kennel, we’ve continued to give them chick starter for food and the adults layer feed. If I remember correctly, you can’t give the chicks layer feed, but it’s been a few years since we’ve added chickens.

What is the best option for feed when we have a mix of adults and babies? Can they all have the chick starter for a bit? Should I have some of each out?

Also, how old do the chicks need to be to start eating adult food? They are about 8 weeks now.

Thanks!

I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

Why do I recommend crumble? Because the chicks can eat it too. Also, it makes a good wet mash or fermented feed, if those methods are your preference.

I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

Why do I recommend crumble? Because the chicks can eat it too. Also, it makes a good wet mash or fermented feed, if those methods are your preference.
Thanks! Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom