What gage to use for a really big chicken run?

Foxes both climb and dig well. To prevent digging you can put an apron on the ground, maybe half a meter out, but it must be well fastened to the bottom of the fence. Secure to the ground til the growing grass does it for you. You can also extend the fence about this far below ground, but obviously that's a lot more work. For climbing, unless you cover the run, an electric wire or two are about the only alternative. Or, use lighter gauge wire and run 3 electric lines, one along or just above the top, and two more that are lower, maybe 10 cm and 30 cm above ground level. You may find this is less expensive, if you can bring power to the chicken yard with relative ease.

And if some fool were to release a bunch of bears over there, this is about the best protection against them, too!
lol.png
(Maybe that's not so funny, after all.)

Last edited:
I readily admit that my knowledge of predators in the UK is limited to weasels who work for dishonest pub keepers and sell stolen motorcars to unsuspecting toads (Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame), but I wouldn't think that a really heavy gauge wire would be worth the bother for foxes. If permitted where you live, I'd be tempted to supplement my fencing with an electric fence 150 to 200 mm above the ground. If you stand it off from the fence about 150 mm Mr. Fox wouldn't get close enough to try burrowing or climbing.

For future posts do remember that the phrase "really big chicken run" is relative to where you live. My favorite example of this is from the movie, Crocodile Dundee II:
Quote: Whatever you end up choosing make sure you set the posts to stand the test of time and use galvanized wire for the same reason.

I wrote this while finishing my first cup of coffee and intended no offense. Hopefully you will take it in the spirit in which it was intended.
fl.gif

I readily admit that my knowledge of predators in the UK is limited to weasels who work for dishonest pub keepers and sell stolen motorcars to unsuspecting toads (Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame), but I wouldn't think that a really heavy gauge wire would be worth the bother for foxes. If permitted where you live, I'd be tempted to supplement my fencing with an electric fence 150 to 200 mm above the ground. If you stand it off from the fence about 150 mm Mr. Fox wouldn't get close enough to try burrowing or climbing.

For future posts do remember that the phrase "really big chicken run" is relative to where you live. My favorite example of this is from the movie, Crocodile Dundee II:
Whatever you end up choosing make sure you set the posts to stand the test of time and use galvanized wire for the same reason.

I wrote this while finishing my first cup of coffee and intended no offense. Hopefully you will take it in the spirit in which it was intended.
fl.gif

No Offense taken :) i guess really big is a bit strong, its big for my three hens.

I have found a good price on 1"x1" galvanized 19gage, this if suitable to fend of the fox will go around and on top. also digging in a concrete trench to prevent digging and additional corigated panels for the roof as well.

No Offense taken :) i guess really big is a bit strong, its big for my three hens.

I have found a good price on 1"x1" galvanized 19gage, this if suitable to fend of the fox will go around and on top. also digging in a concrete trench to prevent digging and additional corigated panels for the roof as well.
That ought to work unless you get some unscrupulous weasels trying to sell your hens stolen motorcars.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom