1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gage to use for a really big chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by monkeyjason, Jan 16, 2012.

1. monkeyjason

monkeyjason Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    MK, England.
    very confused about the gages?

2. OldRoo

OldRoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    the smaller the number, the heavier the wire, thus16 ga wire is stronger than 19 ga wire

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

OP - Are you meaning the thickness of the wire or the sze of the holes/gaps??? I'm curious, because I don't see how wire guage is relevant to run size???

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It's not

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    smaller the number the thicker the wire same as a shotgun a 12gauge is bigger then a 20 gauge

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless the OP is talking about an electric fence. Guess we ought-ta wait and see what he says?

7. monkeyjason

Aug 22, 2011
    MK, England.
    Ah ok. So smaller the number, the better.

Is there a minimum gage I should look at. I.e no thinker than x gage and holes no bigger than x by x

I have been looking at 1"x1"?

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not necessarily better, just stronger. It depends on what your goal is, containing your flock or excluding predators. If your only goal is containment than a smaller wire will suffice. If predator exclusion is the primary goal than you have to ascertain what size of predator you will be dealing with. Obviously, it takes stronger wire to stop a bear than a rabbit. Other things that will affect your decision:
    • What is available.
    • What is your budget? Larger wire costs more.

One more thing to remember, the heavier the wire the harder it is to work with.

[​IMG]

Click for larger image.

9. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Use the largest wire you can get in the size you need. 1" x 1" should be good for anything but weasels as long as its not like 20g. 14g would be great if you can get it.

10. monkeyjason

Aug 22, 2011
    MK, England.
    Brilliant that helps a lot, thank you.

The only worry I have really is for mr fox, want to keep him out.

The run will be 20x22ft. Making harder to fox proof. But as long as he can't bite through the wire I have the top and bottom sorted.

Very few bears in Buckinghamshire England. Got the hens as day olds so would hate to lose one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by