what game birds can you keep with quail?

TurkeyTheQuail

Songster
Jul 12, 2020
Greenville, SC
I have a mix of celadon and coturnix hens together and I was wondering if there are any other game birds that can live with them? I heard pheasants could but I don't know if that's true, and I don't have space for them anyways so that's out of the question. I also heard grouse could but I don't really know much about them and their temperament.

Umm... Celadon are coturnix quail, they just lay blue eggs. @muddy75 has experience keeping mixed flocks, but in general it's not a good idea unless you're willing to take losses.
sorry, I tend to call them separate names lol (I mean I know they're both coturnix I just don't usually refer to the celadons as a type of coturnix quail)

Last edited:
I have a mix of celadon and coturnix hens together and I was wondering if there are any other game birds that can live with them? I heard pheasants could but I don't know if that's true, and I don't have space for them anyways so that's out of the question. I also heard grouse could but I don't really know much about them and their temperament.
yes you can have pheasants chukar etc with coturnix if you have enough space and willing to accept the extra risk. i’ve found it works out best to integrate the larger birds a chicks and provide hideaways for the quail that the larger birds cannot enter to give the smaller birds an escape. quail are fairly resilient little creatures as my fat, clumsy duck frequently steps on quail during treat time and so far has not caused any permanent injuries

Back
Top Bottom