What gender am I :0) (UPDATED I am 9 weeks now.. am I still a Roo?)

Well my little chick is 9 weeks old now, I still am baffled at what he/she is, you all said Roo, but I still cant see any Roo features.. or have I got my blinkers on, and not wanting to see whats staring me in the face??

61403_chickens_turkey_and_ducks_011.jpg

61403_chickens_turkey_and_ducks_010.jpg

61403_chickens_turkey_and_ducks_008.jpg

There is green in the feathers, but my 3 year old hen, who is the same mix has green in her feathers... please help, do I need to get rid, or am I safe??
fl.gif

Quote:
Oh I really hope so, this was the first and only chick I got from one of my broody hens, I dont want to have to get rid...
fl.gif

I'm never good at guessing gender in a young chicken, either! I just went to a co-worker's farm a couple weeks ago to give him my extra roosters, and he was kind enough to give me a hen in exchange. I picked out one of his younger hens---not yet laying, and took her home. I was so happy with the choice I had made----her coloring exactly matched the coloring of a young roo I have. Unfortunately, I caught the two of them challenging each other yesterday morning when I went out to feed everyone! Thank goodness my co-worker said, "If it turns out to be a rooster, just bring it back and pick out a different hen"------hopefully I can pick a hen this time!
smile.png

Ahh thats a pain, at least you can change it, I have seen nothing from this chicken to make me think roo... I have to speckled hens which keep challenging each other. but hens also do that, but this one is so quite, and causes no trouble, no saddle feathers or long tail feather, im unsure... but I so want it to be a hen

At 9 weeks and the comb that red, that's a roo. Roo feathering won't come in for a bit yet.

I had a chick that I knew was a roo. Then as it got older, it wasn't getting saddle or hackle feathers so I thought maybe it was a pullet. But nope, those feathers came in later and he's definitely a roo.

Quote:
I wouldn't just go by that! I have 2 "nursery" coops/run inside my large run and one of my pullets in one side will sit there for hours challenging one of the rooster in the other one. They constantly are chest butting each other through the wire!! It's a sight to see!
smile.png

Missi

ETA: To the OP I believe it's a roo also! Comb to big & red for a pullet at 9 weeks old!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom