What gender is my 6 week old Plymouth Rock?

cockerel yes. but cuckoo maran no (he is barred not cuckoo) he is a barred Plymouth rock
Cuckoo is genetically barring. In appearance it's just a bit more smudgy which his definitely is. Barring should look like this at his age but many production line Barred Rocks have not been bred for proper barring so they all verge on cuckoo. His legs are pink which is a trait of Marans and Plymouth Rocks have yellow legs. Essentially legs are the main indicator of breed in young hatchery birds.
6EF25803-C219-4F41-A37F-9AB1305511AA.jpeg

Cuckoo is genetically barring. In appearance it's just a bit more smudgy which his definitely is. Barring should look like this at his age but many production line Barred Rocks have not been bred for proper barring so they all verge on cuckoo. His legs are pink which is a trait of Marans and Plymouth Rocks have yellow legs. Essentially legs are the main indicator of breed in young hatchery birds.
View attachment 3112072
i know but if the OP said he was a barred plymouth rock meany that is what they brought him as so....

i know but if the OP said he was a barred plymouth rock meany that is what they brought him as so....
That doesn't mean the labeling is correct. Since the two breeds look similar, they are often confused. This bird is lacking an important trait for a Plymouth Rock so that's when you need to start to question it's breed. On this part of the forum I really encourage you to look at every trait of every bird posted and question just about everything and memorize every common breed and their qualities, while knowing the characteristics of each variety. Always look for the simplest answer that makes sense and in this case, being a Cuckoo Marans would be the most likely scenario. :)

Back
Top Bottom